Follow up to 12/12 post -- "All the oil ran out of my new 2007 CR-V"

When I last posted, I had decided to accept Honda's offer to repair the blown crank seal and give me an extended warranty. (The original post is copied below.) Since that time I have been tracking the gas mileage, as a possible way to see if there is any engine damage. I am now quite sure that there was damage and it has increased the engine friction.

Prior to the oil leak, I drove a total of 900 miles. The mileage, as indicated on the dashboard, was 19.8 mpg. I just tracked the mileage over two fillups. The mileage is now 18.5. This is a decrease of 6.5%. Both of these figures are over the same suburban roads, doing the same errands, day after day. This is a statistically significant change, and the only explanation for it is internal engine damager. (I verified that the dashboard indicator is correct, by comparing it to my own calculations from the pump. The indicated mpg is within 0.5% of the calculated mpg. I also verified the car's odometer against measured mile sticks.)

I plan to contact Honda and ask for a new engine or a new car. Comments/advice appreciated.

Chuck Connell

-- My home page

+++++++++++++++++++++

I have a one-month old 07 CRV with about 900 miles. Last night I noticed the oil light blinking randomly. I checked the oil level as soon as I got home, just a couple miles later. It was down, so I added a quart. I did another short errand (5 miles), then checked the oil again. Still low, so I added another quart and parked it for the night. This morning I checked the stick and it showed nothing. So I added two more quarts, bringing the level up to full (2nd hole in the stick). I drove the car directly to the dealer this morning (about 5 miles) with no oil light coming on.

I now realize that the oil has been running out for a week or more. There are oil spots where I park my car at work, and two large spots in my driveway. The oil level was down 4 quarts!

Reply to
Chuck Connell

I'm not entirely sure that this change is really significant. Sure, a real change of 6.5% but I have reservations. I know you said that you travel on the same roads doing the same errandstime of day but still to me it seems like there are too many variables--speed, traffic, pump readings(same pump? is the pump's meter completely constant? same brand gas?). And, I'd consider the temperature drop as we get further into winter--certainly this is a well established mileage decreaser. As far as your plan to contact Honda and ask for a new engine or car, I truly hope that you are successful with that. Because you already accepted Honda's off and had the seal repaired they may not have a positive response, unless you had discussed their willingness to take back the car if the repair wasn't successful. In any case, I wish you good luck and keep us posted.

Ken

Chuck C> When I last posted, I had decided to accept Honda's offer to repair the

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

I guess I'm not sure that a decrease in gas mileage is totally indicative of engine issues. There are so many variables involed with gas mileage - driving conditions, type of gas, time of year, heat/A/C use, etc.... For example, many states allow or mandate the use of different additives in gas during different times of the year. That could have an impact on your mileage. And the 900 miles you drove before your initial problem may not really be enough of a baseline. The car wasn't really broken in for most of the period. You may have subconciously been 'taking it easy' during the first 500 miles, for example.

OTOH, I would document very carefully anything that could be an indicator of an internal problem, and with all of the above said, if there are other indicators (for example, unusual oil consumption, overheating, etc) I would for sure contact Honda.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW!

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I don't think you will get anywhere with Honda using this tactic. I have more variation in mileage than that from tankful to tankful with my '06 CRV & I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with it.

With only 900 miles on it, its not fully broken in and mileage is still an open question. You need to average the mileage over several tankfuls to get any idea what it really gets. The real question you should be asking is whether it uses any oil and that even needs to be measured over at least

1,000 miles.

Reply to
E Meyer

No, there is the distinct possibility that it is due to the weather, particularly the temperature, which had been unseasonably warm here in the northeast through December. Cold temperatures affect mileage greatly. Since Hondas turn on the A/C when the defroster is used, that alone could explain the difference.

Well, good luck with that. If they extended the drive train warranty past the standard 5 year/60,000 miles, you probably shouldn't worry too much.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

There are several other factors that can change the mileage.

Are you in a northern climate? if so, your gas station likely changes formulations for the winter, which will give you lower fuel efficiency.

Has it been colder out since you got the car back? Weather can affect MPG.

Hell, even if you are just accelerating at a different rate than you were before, or getting caught at more lights, you will affect your mileage...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I also feel you are jumping the gun. Oil starvation doesn't usually show up as increased fuel consumption. If the lower fuel efficiency is from increased engine friction it will be clear very soon as the robbed power destroys the affected part. By the time you've used up a tank of gas the engine would be making some shocking noises.

Mike (the voice of second hand experience on that!)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Your milage sounds normal.

A mechanic should be able to determine if your car has damage. If it was starved of oil there will be burns on the cams, burns on the cylinder walls, or low compression. Only the valve cover and spark plugs need to be removed for this inspection so it's pretty quick.

I doubt there's any damage as long as the oil light wasn't on continuously. Most likely you had air bubbles and some foaming that made pressure intermittent. I've seen a few engines blow up and they keep running for a few minutes before the oil dries up.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

OK. I am convinced by your unanimous responses to wait on this. The engine sounds fine. I will track the mileage some more before making any conclusion about it.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Connell

My gas mileage was better when I first got my 07 CRV, but has gone down = slightly this winter. It seems to be the cold weather combined with the = fact that when I first got the car, I drove very carefully to watch the = mpg thingy; now I have 5000 miles and I am just letting it go a bit = more. I notice on warm days even with A/C on, it gets better mileage = than cooler days.

Chuck

Reply to
SteveC