for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 2 of 13
On 04/02/2010 11:39 AM, Bill Putney wrote:

and there we have it folks - always check this stuff.
oils, especially conventionals, break down and start to lose their ability to hold contaminants in suspension after a while - mostly as a function of time and temperature. conventionals more quickly than synthetics. this is why you /should/ check and change your oil.
but with monitoring and use of quality lubricants, you can safely use significantly extended service intervals. i eat my own dogfood:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733 /

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 04/02/2010 09:32 AM, pj wrote:

so fix the damned thing! that's not a function of temperature, that's a function of excess fuel.

that's a bullshit underinformed differentiation. all modern motor oils are detergent. it's the detergent that's hygroscopic, so you can't avoid it.
besides, synthetics flow better when cold, thus they are a better choice, not worse.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Flowing better at low temperatures is better, perhaps, IF you are subject to low temperatures.. I, at this point, am not.
It is not necessarily the additive that is hygroscopic. Some synthetics are more hygroscopic than hydrocarbon oils.
These are the glycol ester types of synthetics.
There is just no easy answer.
On 04/03/2010 03:48 PM, hls wrote:

so, synthetics are better at higher temperatures too!

you use brake fluid in your engine???

yes there is.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

If you were as smart as you THINK you are you would know that diethylene glycol esther based synthetic oils are one of the major synthetic types.

On 04/04/2010 09:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

"esther" is a person's name. "ester" is a chemical compound group. but you're right, it's glycol ethers that are brake fluids, not esters.
ester lubricants otoh are multitudinous. "glycol ester" is a ridiculous trivialization.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On a carbureted engine with a choke it IS a function of t emperature. If the engine (I think all 454 Pontiacs were carbureted, by the way) is never warmed up the choke never comes off and fuel dilution of the oil is a VERY REAL possibility.

Actually, synthetic oils, in general, DO tend to be more hygroscopic, and provide less corrosion protection (marginally)
As for the synthetic flowing better when cold - most definitely - but is that an advantage in Miami or SanDiego?
It is only an advantage if you NEED that cold flow advantage.
In Miami or San Diago the fact that it thins less with heat and is generally more resistant to oxidation is more important.
On 04/03/2010 05:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

cringe.
so it's still advantageous!
besides, most engine wear occurs during warm-up. if a synthetic can protect during this phase, and it can, then it's protecting the engine more than a conventional oil.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

More items you parrot as if your having said it makes it true.

Yes, but in the vast areas of North america where much below freezing and much over 80F are rare, there is VERY little advantage. - and just using a slightly heavier gerade oil for the warm temperatures does virtually the same thing.

Except synthetic oils also tend (note, I said TEND - not necessarilly always do) to drain down leaving less of a "static" oil film, they NEED to get there quicker.
In real life, under "normal" conditions, there is almost un-measurable difference in wear between standard dyno and normal synthetic lubs.
On 04/04/2010 09:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

but it's still advantageous. you may not regard longer life, better fuel economy, lower wear as advantageous, but most people do.

sorry, that's incorrect. the adsorbed lubricant layer for a pao is more tenacious. that's one of the reasons it's a better lubricant.

wear product content of 2ppm vs 4ppm is small and "almost un-measurable", but it's 100% difference.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

As it approaches the limits of measurability, 100% difference may not be mathematically significant.
On 04/04/2010 10:04 AM, hls wrote:

does that excuse work with taxes?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

I have no horse in this race, but to answer your question about taxes - yes - you can round to the nearest dollar (in spite of the fact that you could carry everything to pennies). You picked a poor example to support your case.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/04/2010 10:17 AM, Bill Putney wrote:

so if i owe a few $k, that's insignificant compared to the national budget, and i can "round down", right?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

No, but if you owe either $0.24 or $0.48 (100% difference), you can.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/04/10 13:23, jim beam wrote:

No, there are rules for rounding. *Estimates*, however, are a very different matter altogether! :)

In fact, 500% difference may be totally inconsequential.
On 04/04/2010 03:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yeah. my civic with 20k mile oil change intervals is 500% broken.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

That is assuming you actually GET those advantages.

But not all synthetic oils are PAO

Or a 50% reduction, to be accurate.