for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 11 of 13  
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:


The chain of excellence, of course.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ya, really, JT. I think most of us hangin' here happily doing the car talk thing are public school folks. ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Elle wrote:

Yes but you an obvious "survivor," right?
At least that's my take...
JT
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/1/10 2:36 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, "Elle"

Here in Texas, the temp goes above 90 sometime in May and stays there until October. That pretty much kills normal schedule here, at least in the summer.
I think its interesting that Honda puts in the 90 degree clause, where Nissan focuses on dust and freezing temps, and only talks about hot in terms of stop-and-go driving in hot weather.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

How about stop-and-go traffic in freezing temperatures on de-iced roads? I had many days like that just this past winter.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yep. Like my dad.
And Honda's computer indicates somewhere between 5K and 6K oil changes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

-- For my 2003 Civic in severe conditions, the interval then becomes 5k miles or six months.
-- I would have to see a citation to believe that most people drive in severe conditions. I think Jim B is right that "normal" is a word that Honda chose for its manuals with careful consideration.
-- What folks report about their maintenance minders (the ones that use startups, temperatures, etc. as input for when to tell the driver an oil change is needed) seems to support longer intervals.
-- One has to drive /mainly/ in one or more of the severe conditions to justify the shorter interval. E.g. driving less than five miles per trip or in freezing temperatures, less than 10 miles per trip.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I have seen 'severe conditions' described as 'lots of stop and go traffic'. If that is the definition, then yes, most people drive under severe conditions.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/31/2010 12:40 PM, Obveeus wrote:

yeah, on iffy-lube websites trying to get you to go into their shop and out of your wallet every 3000 miles.

nonsense.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It is an 'if, then' statement and as such, you must understand that it is not 'nonsense'. The 'if' part may be false, though, rendering the conclusion useless. I think we agree that, the claim that people need to change their oil every 3,000 miles or on some time interval is nonsense promoted by auto repair people.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Obveeus wrote:

I disagree that it is nonsense. In my 1984 AMC Eagle, those frequent oil changes were needed. In my 2008 Ford Focus, a longer interval is needed.
The 3000 mi interval was based on good info. However, now it is based on greed.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Good info based upon old technology (oil from 25 years ago and car manufacturing from 25 years ago). Even without the 'greed' factor, the technology has changed enough that the old rules simply should not apply.
...and for the people driving the 25+ year old cars, the 'topping off what leaks out method' probably is as good as doing oil changes (though the filter probably still needs to get changed).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/31/10 15:40, Obveeus wrote:

Not to me, I take 'lots of stop and go traffic' to be like driving a cab in NYC. I have never driven a car like that and don't know anyone who has. I'm also curious which latitudes one has to live in to drive consistently > 90F or below freezing. I never pull a trailer nor do I ever go off road.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would think that anyone living in a major city with a 45+ minute style commute qualifies...and yes, that is a significant number of drivers. Of course, 'lots of stop and go' is open to interpretation and maybe the manufacturers intends for it to mean only cars that are driven for 8+ hours per day under those conditions...but should the end user assume that is what they meant or err on the side of caution if they have a daily rush-hour commute?

Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles...millions of drivers deal with that 90+ temperature for months at a time. Entire states like Wyoming and Wisconsin deal with temperatures 'consistently' below freezing for months at a time.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Obveeus wrote:

I used to have a 65-70 min commute. However, it didn't affect my mileage. I took the train. ;-)
You can have 70 min commute, if you live far away, with mainly fast moving highways, even into NYC (I knew one teacher with about a 75-min commute from PA right into Harlem).

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Obveeus wrote:

Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, El Paso, San Antonio & Austin. Many millions of Texans driving in the heat.
It wasn't long ago that we went over 30 days in a row without getting below 100 during the day and never getting below 80 at night. The car I was driving at the time has no A/C. That was tough.
I will never state how often I change my oil, that is now strictly classified information. ;-)
Pat
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/02/10 09:17, pws wrote:

That's hot, no 2 ways about it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/02/10 08:44, Obveeus wrote:

Thanks for the reply. IIRC I've seen Honda use the cab metaphor "stop and go" conditions (damned if I know where nowadays, of course).

Right.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm one of those guys who believes in 3000 mile intervals because it has always worked for me. Do I care if no one agrees with me, NO. Do I care if I can extend it to 5000 or more miles, NO. Do I claim my way is the only correct way, NO. In other words, you do what works for you and I'll do the same.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 04/01/2010 04:38 AM, Observer wrote:

i keep garlic in my refrigerator because it stops elephants from standing in the butter. because it has always worked for me.

superstitious nonsense - you have absolutely zero basis in fact.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.