for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 4 of 13
You have joggle my old farts memory.... we get a lot of 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines through our shop (no surprise since we ARE a Ford dealer) that have
had aftermarket oil filters installed. Jiffy Lube will happily dispose of your old filter cap since the aftermarket filter comes with it's own (ill fitting, leaking) cap.
Here in Canada, that new oil filter cap (the one that will cure your oil leak) is about $90 CAD (not including the price of the new oil filter).
Choosing a mechanic is like choosing a doctor... find one that you can easily get along with... find one that is brutally honest... Be aware that he may make the odd mistake and he will fix that mistake without hesitation. Many of my customers have been coming to me for 30 years or more....
Quicky oil changes by inexperienced minimum wage earners shouldn't be a viable option in anyones playbook... FWIW - I am paranoid to the point that I'm reluctant to eat in a fast food joint where I can't watch my meal from beginning to end... (Did anyone see that Gordon Ramsay show where the fast food guy picked a piece of food up off the floor and tossed it back in the deep frier? Yummmmm!!!)

And /or the "bulk" oil used is inferior. Or the oil is changed and the filter is just given a "rag job"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Evidence that bulk oil is inferior, if it is the same brand and grade.
Jeff

That's the rub. It comes out of a tank. Neither you, nor the service station who uses it, KNOWS for sure what brand the oil REALLY is - except for the lube shops that are owned by a particular oil company. And then you don't know for sure what line of oil they are actually using. Every oil company has their "economy grade" and their "premium" at the very least.
I know for a FACT that sometimes when you order (as a garage) a certain brand of premium multigrade oil from a distributor you do NOT get either that brand or their premium oil.
When you use packaged oil you KNOW what you are getting.
I'm NOT saying that bulk oil is in any way necessarily inferior - I used to use bulk oil a LOT in my service station and dealership days. I generally bought only directly from the oil company - when at the service station from the oil company that owned the fuel tanks - Texaco , Shell ,, Esso, etc, and at the dealerships from the single line distributor for either Castrol, Quaker State, Kendall, etc or the oil companies listed above.
When the dealership started buying from a large industrial lubricant company that distributed Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, and several other lines we never knew for sure what was in the tank. Can you say "brand of the week"?
The only way to know what oil you were REALLY getting was to order Kendall GT-1 - none of the "competitors'" oils were that distinctive BLUE colour!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, at least you think you do. Further, when you get expensive oil out of a bottle, who knows if that is really what you're buying, partilcularly at a place where you're not the one opening the bottle.

FWIW, many oil processors "trade" refinery capacity. Here in Alberta, Esso Petroleum Canada processes lube oils for Husky Oil Marketing. As long as a motor oil bears an API rating......

At our company's fleet garage, we bought "bulk" oil, but it came packaged in 55 gallon drums. It was never delivered in a tank truck and pumped into an open bulk tank.
This level of "bulk" was substantially cheaper than buying bottled oil, and the risk of contamination was less.

I used a lot of "barrel" oil for many years from the multi-line distributor, but then they decided they didn't want to handle barrels anymore at they put in bulk tanks with metered pumps - made it a lot wasier than pumping from a barrel into a pouring can - no more funnels required - and less, not more, possibility of contamination because there were no extra containers or stages of handling involved.
The only problem is you NEVER really knew what you were getting. They handled Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, and at least 2 other brands - all of which made good oils - and also cheap oils. Which grade were we getting this month? from which company?.

The article linked above is also a helpful read. I noticed the part that says "Depending on driving conditions, we expect oil change intervals could be approximately:
Up to 10,000 miles Normal commuting with highway driving 5000 to 7500 miles Trailer tow/high load driving 3000 to 5000 miles Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature"
The fact that two very different different car manufacturers (Honda and Ford) are saying a 10k mile interval is fine for many speaks volumes, IMO.
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Elle

As does the fact they both agree that as little as 3000 miles may be appropriate for short trips, extreme cold, oe extreme heat.
On 04/02/2010 02:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

with conventional oil....
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

And that encompasses what - about 90%? of all oil changes in North America.
And with short trips in cold weather a synthetic oil does not buy you much in extended oil life. SOME, yes. But not a lot. In high temperature (extreme heat) synthetic DOES buy you a fair return in extended oil life.
On 04/03/2010 05:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

90% have extreme conditions?

in cold weather, synthetics will buy you extended engine life - they protect against start-up wear better.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

More testimonial. Where is your unassailable data?
On 04/04/2010 06:01 AM, hls wrote:

well, i didn't get it from any contribution you've made - that's for sure!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

No - learn to read I said 90% +/- use conventional oil

Again - I was not talking about ENGINE life - I was talking about OIL LIFE.
There IS a difference.
On 04/04/2010 09:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

sorry dude, you weren't clear.

i know there's a difference. engine life and oil life go hand in hand. and synthetics outperform conventional oils, cold or hot. end of story.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"End of story" is a good epitaph for this rather useless thread. This subject has been argued on this and other newsgroups for years.
You take the point that some are foolish because they dont subscribe to your ideas about lubricants, maintenance intervals, etc.
You havent proved any points. You just keep talking, saying the same old things, never with an iota of data.
It is boring.
Thread exited.
On 04/04/2010 10:16 AM, hls wrote:

...without you contributing a damned thing! buh-bye!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

How much clearer can you get than inline response to "with conventional oil"????? Sheesh!!!