for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 5 of 13
On 04/04/2010 03:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

relax. i'm just saying that in the context of the underinformed thinking that "most" [90%???] drivers are operating in "extreme conditions", as quoted above, you should have been specific.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Because as everyone knows, even you, there's bang for the buck to consider.
Thanks for your hyperbole, anyway.
SMS wrote:

So why do you care? That is really the much more interesting question.
     I know people who clean their house every day - sometimes twice a day. Given that there are people who keep their houses spotless why isn't their a similar cohort of self-appointed internet mavens that are out their trying to convince others that it is bad to clean house too often?     Some people don't like to have black oil in their engines just like some people can't stand to see a speck of dirt in their house. Why is it that the one attracts so much criticism while the other goes without comment?
    The question is why are there so many zealots on the internet that feel it is their mission in life to convince other motorists that it is good to be driving around with black oil in their engines? What sort of belief system drives a person to go around trying to convert others to black engine oil?
-jim
On 03/31/2010 06:12 AM, jim wrote:

ooooh, "black oil" is evil!!!
dude, have you ever worked on diesels? those things have "black oil" almost instantly. what then - change the oil every 500 miles? or are you going to bother to bust open a can of brains, figure out what matters based on research and learn that "black oil" doesn't mean a damned thing?
here's how it works: combustion produces, among other things, soot. soot is black. i'm sure you're with me so far. but, oil lubrication in a car engine uses something called "hydrodynamic separation". simply, that means the metal bits in a car don't actually touch, they are separated by an oil film. that oil film has a measurable thickness
http://www.answers.com/topic/lubrication-5
if your soot particles are small enough to "fit" in the hydrodynamic film, the metals surfaces don't even know they're there. and that's the job of the oil filter - to makes sure that the big particles are trapped and only the harmless stuff flows through.
beyond that, if the oil is chemically and thermally stable, and has the chemical ingredients to handle other combustion products like acid, and the filter is working properly, "black oil" is actually an indication that the oil is doing its job properly - it is holding everything in suspension and continuing to flow.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733 /
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Some people want to feel superior, or it could be they want reinforcement of their own beliefs, because they are not sure of those beliefs. But maybe when you see the same people saying they don't have to change their oil until 10000 miles go by, and they don't have to wax their car, it's a simple case of trying to justify their laziness and/or penuriousness. Like, "What, you bathe more than once a month? That's a crazy waste of precious water and heating fuel. Does no good and costs money." Could be something like that, but hard to tell without doing a psychological analysis. Personally, I don't care how often people bathe, so long as they don't stink up the place. Don't care at all how often they change their oil.
--Vic.
On 3/31/2010 10:17 AM Vic Smith spake these words of knowledge:

I believe there are people like that, Vic. I can tell you that generally, here in a forum where people come to ask for help in how to do all things maintenance, there are people who want to help.
I myself am both lazy and penurious - but I just spent 3 hours removing the haze from my headlights, washing my car and sealing it. I only wash & seal it every 2 weeks now, because it's time and work, and my Honda is 6 years old. I do my own oil changes and minor maintenance, because I am frugal, and because I need to know it's done right. I change my oil every 10,000 miles, on all 3 Hondas.
With respect to justifying what I do, all I can say is, fuck you, shitbag. You have a very poor attitude, and clearly aren't here to help anyone.
With respect to the OP's question, I don't suppose many people really care how much oil, etc. that you waste - but it is wasteful, and harmful to the environment. Some care about such things more than others; I haven't changed the antifreeze in my 03 yet, because I haven't found a good way to dispose of the old fluid, and I would not pour it out. But I don't really care what you do.
Some folks try to share their experience and knowledge. Surely, sometimes it's for self-aggrandizement. Here, somewhat less so - it's too much effort.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
A curse on you, and may the curse be that you remain what you are.

With respect to justification
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:37:29 -0500, Dave Kelsen

Looks like you've defined what camp you're in. And told anybody who may or may not agree with you "fuck you, shitbag." Sounds reasonable to me. Oh, and thanks for all your help. You are one helpful guy. Carry on.
--Vic
On 3/31/2010 6:21 PM Vic Smith spake these words of knowledge:

No. Not anyone. Just shitbags like you with your attitude. And I have never been one of the most helpful people here. Nor did I claim to be one of those folks. But I have been here for years. Your reading comprehension seems to be on a level with your reasoning abilities. Shame.
Looks like you've defined what camp you're in. The ignorant, unhelpful whiners who have only negative to offer, but offer it freely.
Carry on.
And fuck you, shitbag.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it doesn't go away."
-- Philip K. Dick
Dave Kelsen wrote:

He made several casual observations. I wonder which one of those statements rang true and got you so bent out of shape. I'm guessing this one:
"Some people want to feel superior, or it could be they want reinforcement of their own beliefs, because they are not sure of those beliefs."
On 4/1/2010 9:00 AM jim spake these words of knowledge:

In my case, it was the next statement. The idea that the people who spend their time typing here, researching questions, answering questions for others, etc., are doing so because they wish to justify their laziness is rather remarkable.
If you actually consider "Vic's" remarks to be casual, I do not wish to disillusion you; the world will take care of that in relatively short order. But they were not. They were obvious misrepresentations, deliberate lies. Bear in mind that I was *not* one of the previous respondents, so it wasn't a case of me taking it personally.
Personally, I think you know that, and are a slightly more sophisticated troll, but I have answered you as if you are not, because I surely can be mistaken.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
668 - Neighbor of the Beast

Dave Kelsen wrote:

    In short-> It is sacrilegious to even speculate about hidden motives of the Saints.

    You can't seriously believe I'm going to read this and not think "You are taking the comments as a personal attack on your belief system."

    So let's say I change my oil at 8000 miles where does that put me. I mean Heaven is obviously reserved for those that change their oil at 10000 miles and Hell is for those who change oil at 3000 miles. So where do I end up? Purgatory?
On 4/2/2010 7:40 AM jim spake these words of knowledge:

Your reading comprehension is even lower than "Vic's", apparently.

I don't have a belief system with respect to my cars. I use the actual knowledge of the people who build and understand them, and the people who have bothered to examine their oil to obtain real-world information on how often they should change it. You should try it. That said, I don't particularly care what you do. Further, if you look back up the chain of posts, you will notice that I did not participate. "Vic" was not responded to, nor addressing, me.
I can seriously believe that it doesn't matter what anyone says to you; your opinion is apparently based on some sort of religion or, as you put it, 'belief system'. Facts apparently don't enter into the matter. Enjoy!

Lady, it leaves you as someone who changes their oil every 8000 miles. Ask your high priest, or whatever freaky equivalent you use, about where it leaves you spiritually. I was obviously right about you being a troll, and wrong to respond to you as if you might not be. My fault, I suppose. I fight cynicism every day, although your kind makes it more difficult all the time.
This is usenet, so I understand you can do and say whatever you want. That stated, I suggest that you go troll somewhere else, and shut the hell up about your religion.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel
over what I considered to be an 'odd' number." -- Steven Wright
Dave Kelsen wrote:

You state you have zero personal first hand knowledge and no belief system. So what's left? you are omniscient?

yeah but if you're omniscient you already knew he was attacking you - even before he wrote it.

And pray tell what facts have you presented?
On 4/2/2010 12:31 PM jim spake these words of knowledge:

Lady, I can't really imagine how much fun it must be to live in your world. It's a shame there's no one there with you . Back in the 70's, when I smoked a lot of herb, I never hallucinated - so I surmise that either pot has changed a lot, or you're doing something considerably more serious.
Either way, you should probably get some help, but I don't suppose you'll understand that any better than anything else you've had read to you.
Be careful, man; have a safe journey, and try not to hurt anyone else!
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Too bad stupidity isn't painful.

About this washing and "sealing" your cars every few weeks and the headlight lens rubbing you mentioned. Did this all start when you were a hophead all doped up on grass? Did you also drop acid? Never mind, doesn't matter here. You said you are "down to" washing and "sealing" your cars every few weeks now. I believe you said you did this with "3 Hondas." Was that ever a weekly or daily occurrence with one or more cars? Do you have a "secret" recipe for the "sealer" that requires a specific ritual to get the "sealer" mix just right, only known to you? Do you often feel that other people "just don't understand me?" Do people like this - people who just don't understand you - seem to be coming at you, one after another? Do you feel that Honda owners are not "given the respect they deserve?" Do you feel this very strongly when you are washing and "sealing" the Hondas? The reason I ask these questions is because I am a drug addiction counselor and I recognize some common symptoms of drug addiction aftermath in your posts. I'm assuming you are clean now, I'm sorry I can't help you here, but I suggest you get down to a local health center and discuss this with them. They are there to help. Don't think there is a stigma attached to that, and you can be sure that any information revealed in counseling will be kept private. What happens with a counselor stays with the counselor. That's what we counselors say. And we mean it. Started saying that after the Vegas commercials began, and it fits. If you are using your real name, please stop posting to the internet and usenet for now with that name. There are bad people who will use your own words against you, without giving any thought that you may not be of sound mind.
Regards, David
Dave Wilson wrote:

This is one of the more amusing posts that I have read in some time.
On 4/3/2010 12:31 AM Dave Wilson spake these words of knowledge:

Now you're getting in the spirit of the woman I responded to! If we could all see things her way, as you do, none of us would allow actual facts get in the way of our... thoughts.
You've done a good job here!
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Nothing is impossible for anyone impervious to reason.

OK, you're one of those wackos who REGRETS that he washes AND SEALS his car (gee, takes ONLY three hours) ONLY every couple of weeks now.
That implies that you're down from your original schedule, which was MORE than every couple of weeks.
Then you blast others for wasting resources?
The amount of water YOU waste, and the dangerous chemicals YOU introduce into the environment (yeah, your waxes and sealears), aren't on your horizon? Or do you CONVENIENTLY choose to IGNORE your waste while blasting OTHERS for "waste" and introducing things that are "harmful to the environment" that YOU don't like?
Really? Is that how you live your life? Do as I say, not as I do?

There are. Vaccuuming causes tons of problems (asthma in children, for example). Exposure to all the chemicals also causes many health problems. People that constantly use those germ killing wipes are making themselves sicker every day.

Are we now trying to demonize anyone that points out 'hey, that is a big waste of money'?

People that want to reduce their country's dependence on foreign oil? People that want the environment to be less poluted? People that are just trying to give helpful financial advice?
Next up: irrational fear that someone will let out word that car wax isn't really beneficial.
On 03/31/2010 06:48 AM, Obveeus wrote: <snip for clarity>

no shit. if you look at old cars with peeling topcoat, it's the ones that have been waxed/polished that look like crap. cars with higher roofs where owners typically can't reach, they may be oxidized, but magically they don't have a peeling problem.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum