for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

The smaller the particle the filter traps, the quicker it is going to clog up. Also, until you get to a point of saturation, the size of the particles missed by a "standard" filter are not large enough to do much engine wear. I'm fairly anal about my vehicle, but I don't use filters that trap very fine particles. I use regular old standard filters. They are less prone to being clogged. And if that happens the bypass kicks in and you have no filtering at all.

It would depend on the service. If it's all highway miles, maybe.. If not, pretty risky.. :(

I think it's a waste of money, and also not the greatest idea as I have already touched on.

If your Camry has 176k miles on it, you are probably doing something right. Why change? :/

Myself, I use regular standard filters, half decent oil, "castrol syntec blend", and I change it every 5k miles like the manual and the blinky light on the dashboard says. I'm not a fan of "extended oil change skeds". The purpose of changing the oil and filter is to remove the dirt, acids, moisture, and whatever else, and to replenish the additives in the oil. I'm not going much past 5k in any of my vehicles, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. My older trucks actually get dirtier after 5k miles than my newer Corolla. It's so clean burning it is really not that bad after 5k.. But I change it anyway. Cheap insurance. I don't use synth blend in the trucks though.. Just regular dino oil.. I only use the synth blend in the Corolla as extra insurance against the dreaded gelling problem. Again, the extra cost is cheap insurance the way I see it.

Reply to
nm5k

Ok, thanks for the info. Good points all around. Maybe the car can go longer on multiple filters, but 5k miles is long enough. My use might even qualify as "severe" come to think of it... mixed city/ highway driving.

Was using Castrol regular 10W-30, thinking of putting in regular Mobil

5W-30 for better fuel economy next change due in ~900 miles.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Obveeus" wrote in news:hp2ok5$tj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You said, "Exposure to all the chemicals also causes many health problems."

You didn't say, "harmful chemicals", you said, "chemicals".

So...what's a "chemical"? Answer the question.

Reply to
Tegger

How often should this freeway trip be made in order to minimize damage to the engine by water-laden oil?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Look up Honda's manual.

We just have to disagree then.

Reply to
Bob Jones

I do not see this phrase in Honda's manual.

That's a big difference from just saying "is fine for most drivers."

Which one is it? "Occasionally" or "most of the time"?

Reply to
Bob Jones

Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the normal schedule.

Reply to
Elle

Not entirely true. The moisture and contaminants in the oil from the short trip driving deteriorate the additives in the oil - and "drying it out" once a week does not TOTALLY eliminate that damage.

Yes it is.

The oil change requirements stated in the US are the minimum required change frequency for the oil available in America to get the car through warranty most of the time.

Reply to
clare

Silliness.

I keep garlic all over the place, and since I have, we have not had a single Vampire attack.

Reply to
Joe

Hey, all, let's re-argue detergent vs. non detergetnt motor oils, plus single grade vs. multigrade? I cannot believe I'm still seeing this same old crap argued so fervently in 2010. I've lived (and driven) thru all these arguments.

Nowadays I drive an '03 Accord sedan w/5AT and I send an oil sample for analysis every spring. 2010 will be the first year for an annual oil change. Just for the record, 6,300 miles since I changed the oil in

05/09). Analysis reports show my non synthetic oil as well as I4 engine are in excellent condition. I do some things non-factory: change oil filter every oil change, change engine air filter (along with the cabin one) annually, etc.

My $.02, YMMV, of course, and we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

Reply to
Tony Harding

Cool, definitely worth the price of admission! A guest spot on Letterman for Stupid Car Tricks, at least!

:)

Reply to
Tony Harding

What's a "drug"?

Reply to
Tony Harding

How about the CBC? Tegger lives in Canada.

Reply to
Tony Harding

A nice, open minded, rational position. Hope you haven't spawned, dude.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Hoo, boy, where'd you get THAT?

I have a bridge you'll love!

:)

Reply to
Tony Harding

Cross posting left in because I'm a dork....

A look at the oil change intervals for the new Fords coming down the assembly line will be an eye opener...

FWIW, the lubricants "available" in America are likely amongst the best in the world... low ash content for diesel applications and various other requirements placed on engine oil (and other lubes) by the applications they are designed for... If one is to be concerned about "quality" in any areas - I don't think it would be with packaged lubes but with bulk fuels.... packaged lubes that bear appropriate ratings, at least (will SpamsOil ever get an API rating?).

Back to lube intervals... Many of the new and current Ford offerings have the IOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) system. Here

a cut and paste of a message we got from the mothership (missing is the page that indicates which model/engine combos have what system). Notice that SOME oil change intervals can go as long as 1 year or 10,000 miles (16,000 kms).

There's some pretty neat stuff hitting the streets these days... including the dual plug 6.2 Ford and the "reverse flow" 6.7 diesel...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Dilution with what?

Reply to
Tony Harding

I totally forgot "the flip side of the coin".... An abandoned 2006 Fusion... left on our doorstep like a baby in a basket.... 100,000 kms or so on the ticker and only two oil changes to it's history. The amount of sludge under that valve covers is still a topic of conversation around the shop...

The longer we extend the service interval, the more important it becomes to observe it...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not to me, I take 'lots of stop and go traffic' to be like driving a cab in NYC. I have never driven a car like that and don't know anyone who has. I'm also curious which latitudes one has to live in to drive consistently > 90F or below freezing. I never pull a trailer nor do I ever go off road.

Reply to
Tony Harding

As I said, if it works for you, do it. Does it matter what others think?

Reply to
Observer