for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

oops - meant to say "my elderly mother" there.

"her" not "he"

In too much of a hurry.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Thanks for the reply. IIRC I've seen Honda use the cab metaphor "stop and go" conditions (damned if I know where nowadays, of course).

Right.

Reply to
Tony Harding

That's hot, no 2 ways about it.

Reply to
Tony Harding

I hate finding the butter with elephant tracks. Any special kind of garlic.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

As does the fact they both agree that as little as 3000 miles may be appropriate for short trips, extreme cold, oe extreme heat.

Reply to
clare

Elephant garlic?

Reply to
Tony Harding

Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the normal schedule.

What about somewhere in between? Mine only use the word "occasionally".

Reply to
Bob Jones

Evidence that bulk oil is inferior, if it is the same brand and grade.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Heh... Probably a product of the public school system!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Aimed at the same people who have always used "premium" fuel, simply because "it's premium". Also, "if it costs more, it MUST be better."

There are those here and elsewhere who would tell you, "if you can't afford the service, then you can't afford the car." They use that to defend a Lexus ES350 oil change costing $150 compared to the $30 oil change on the same engine over at the Toyota dealer.

Those people are defending their burning need to BELIEVE.

And Infiniti has chosen, brilliantly, to cater to people who WANT cash to leave their pockets. That cash is GOING to leave their pockets no matter what; Infiniti figured it might as well go into Infiniti's coffers as to Starbucks for a $5.00 cup of coffee.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I am a product of the public school system, and quite proud of it. So are my students.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

How about stop-and-go traffic in freezing temperatures on de-iced roads? I had many days like that just this past winter.

Reply to
Bob Jones

That's the rub. It comes out of a tank. Neither you, nor the service station who uses it, KNOWS for sure what brand the oil REALLY is - except for the lube shops that are owned by a particular oil company. And then you don't know for sure what line of oil they are actually using. Every oil company has their "economy grade" and their "premium" at the very least.

I know for a FACT that sometimes when you order (as a garage) a certain brand of premium multigrade oil from a distributor you do NOT get either that brand or their premium oil.

When you use packaged oil you KNOW what you are getting.

I'm NOT saying that bulk oil is in any way necessarily inferior - I used to use bulk oil a LOT in my service station and dealership days. I generally bought only directly from the oil company - when at the service station from the oil company that owned the fuel tanks - Texaco , Shell ,, Esso, etc, and at the dealerships from the single line distributor for either Castrol, Quaker State, Kendall, etc or the oil companies listed above.

When the dealership started buying from a large industrial lubricant company that distributed Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, and several other lines we never knew for sure what was in the tank. Can you say "brand of the week"?

The only way to know what oil you were REALLY getting was to order Kendall GT-1 - none of the "competitors'" oils were that distinctive BLUE colour!!!!

Reply to
clare

Well, at least you think you do. Further, when you get expensive oil out of a bottle, who knows if that is really what you're buying, partilcularly at a place where you're not the one opening the bottle.

Reply to
dr_jeff

FWIW, many oil processors "trade" refinery capacity. Here in Alberta, Esso Petroleum Canada processes lube oils for Husky Oil Marketing. As long as a motor oil bears an API rating......

Reply to
Jim Warman

Keepin' the chain going, eh?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

On 4/2/2010 12:31 PM jim spake these words of knowledge:

Lady, I can't really imagine how much fun it must be to live in your world. It's a shame there's no one there with you . Back in the 70's, when I smoked a lot of herb, I never hallucinated - so I surmise that either pot has changed a lot, or you're doing something considerably more serious.

Either way, you should probably get some help, but I don't suppose you'll understand that any better than anything else you've had read to you.

Be careful, man; have a safe journey, and try not to hurt anyone else!

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

Last December I bought a new car, trading my 3 year old with 67000 trouble free miles. I do believe in proper maintenance but I'm not going to follow the dealer's recommendations. When I bought the car they gave me a service "menu" with the miles, work to be performed, and cost. Following their schedule I'd have spent an additional $2200 in that three years. As for trade in value, they never looked at the car so it was not something that had payback in resale.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:4bb6b1ab$0$4895$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

About this washing and "sealing" your cars every few weeks and the headlight lens rubbing you mentioned. Did this all start when you were a hophead all doped up on grass? Did you also drop acid? Never mind, doesn't matter here. You said you are "down to" washing and "sealing" your cars every few weeks now. I believe you said you did this with "3 Hondas." Was that ever a weekly or daily occurrence with one or more cars? Do you have a "secret" recipe for the "sealer" that requires a specific ritual to get the "sealer" mix just right, only known to you? Do you often feel that other people "just don't understand me?" Do people like this - people who just don't understand you - seem to be coming at you, one after another? Do you feel that Honda owners are not "given the respect they deserve?" Do you feel this very strongly when you are washing and "sealing" the Hondas? The reason I ask these questions is because I am a drug addiction counselor and I recognize some common symptoms of drug addiction aftermath in your posts. I'm assuming you are clean now, I'm sorry I can't help you here, but I suggest you get down to a local health center and discuss this with them. They are there to help. Don't think there is a stigma attached to that, and you can be sure that any information revealed in counseling will be kept private. What happens with a counselor stays with the counselor. That's what we counselors say. And we mean it. Started saying that after the Vegas commercials began, and it fits. If you are using your real name, please stop posting to the internet and usenet for now with that name. There are bad people who will use your own words against you, without giving any thought that you may not be of sound mind.

Regards, David

Reply to
Dave Wilson

This is one of the more amusing posts that I have read in some time.

Reply to
pws