for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 9 of 13
On 03/31/10 08:33, Mark wrote:

Of what? 4% is indeed 5% - 4%; however, 5% = 1% * 5 as well.
On 04/21/10 01:34, Tony Harding wrote:

Oops! I *meant*:
Of what? 4% is indeed 5% - 1%; however, 5% = 1% * 5 as well.
When you get an extra 1/4 to 1/2 a quart out, I have to think so.

On 03/31/2010 05:31 AM, Mark wrote:

> When you get an extra 1/4 to 1/2 a quart out, I have to think so. > >
"think" not "know".
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

The article linked above is a good read and helps reinforce my belief about going with the manufacturer's recommendations on oil change intervals, or even longer.
The owner's manual for my 2003 Civic says to change the oil every 10k miles or every year, whichever comes first, using 5W20 non-synthetic, and assuming no extreme conditions, per what is explained to be "extreme" in the owner's manual.
The wikipedia entry for "motor oil" talks about how oil standards have changed, driving the increasing interval over the decades.

That may be the case for normal driving condition. Most people drive in severe conditions.
On 03/30/2010 04:55 PM, Bob Jones wrote:

nonsense - by definition, "normal" is what most people drive in.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Severe conditions are defined as follows:
- Driving less than 5 miles per trip or less than 10 miles per trip in freezing temperatures. - Driving in extreme hot (over 90F) conditions. - Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving. - Driving in muddy, dusty, de-iced, or mountain roads.
I believe they apply to most drivers in this country. Are you saying no?
On 03/31/2010 05:33 PM, Bob Jones wrote:

defined by whom?

i googled for those definitions, and guess what - they all came up on iffy-lube type websites selling you 3000 mile oil changes.
bottom line - it's analysis that trumps all cant, sales, superstition or hysteria on this subject. if the analysis says you can run your oil longer, and per my original post, most people can, that's the end of the story.

yes, i'm saying no. it's illogical nonsense.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Look up Honda's manual.

We just have to disagree then.
On 04/01/2010 04:33 PM, Bob Jones wrote:

you "disagree" with the facts?????? where can we find your contrary research published?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I don't need to do any research. Honda has already done that. If you want to come up with your own, knock yourself out.
On 04/04/2010 08:33 AM, Bob Jones wrote:

what do you have?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Send it to Honda. May be they will rewrite the manual based on your findings. If the manual says changing oil every 20k miles, I will be the first one to follow.
On 04/04/2010 11:18 AM, Bob Jones wrote:

eat your own dog food. do oil analysis. then you won't need to "follow".
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"honda have indeed done plenty of research and carefully written it into your owners manual"
If that's the case, there should be no need to do your own analysis. That is of course unless you think your research is more thorough and bullet-proof than Honda's.
Bob Jones wrote:

In case you haven't noticed. Mr. Bean is simply promoting recreational oil an analysis.
Bob Jones wrote:

Maybe the scored cam lobe in that picture will really impress Honda.
On 04/04/2010 05:31 PM, jim wrote:

wow, someone actually noticed!!! 10 points.
that cam lobe got marked when i did the head gasket in a hurry and didn't clean up - it was grit during reassembly and it's been that way for 51k miles now. as you know if you have experience of this stuff, for that surface with those same marks to persist this long, without being scuffed off as normally happens, is a truly extraordinary testament to a superior lubricant.
google this group for a longer write-up i posted a while ago.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

    That is not fact it is simply the story you cooked up. Regardless of what may or may not have happened to your particular engine, it is not uncommon to see this sort of engine damage happen to someone who changes oil at 10000 miles and experiences a head gasket leak.
    Basically what happens is the sudden introduction of a small amount of antifreeze into the oil will overwhelm the additives in the oil that are designed to hold small particles of dirt in suspension. When these tiny particles that usually do no harm are no longer capable of being held in suspension, they will agglomerate into larger particles. That is, the tiny particles will be attracted to each other and form into larger masses. The damage those larger particles (before they reach the oil filter) can do looks exactly like the score marks on your cam.
-jim