Found small screw MXV4 tire

Today, when parked at Home Depot (who I suspect doesn't sweep the parking lots frequently enough), I happened to notice a small screw stuck in my front drivers-side tire. The tire did not seem flat (in fact it was overinflated slightly), but I had just got the car inspected in NJ and maybe they inflate the tires as part of the inspection (who knows).

Anyway, I removed the screw by turning counter-clockwise with a pair or pliers. I estimate that the screw was stuck in around 3/16ths of an inch (maybe as much as 1/4" though). It was in one of the deep gaps that surround the circumferance of the tire, but was sticking in at an angle. The diameter of the screw may have been as much as 1/8" (including the threads) depending on how far in it actually was.

I plan on putting some soapy water onto the small hole where the screw was. If I don't find any evidence of leakage, and the tire doesn't lose pressure more than other tires, then the question is:

Should I:

1) Do nothing

or

2) Put a dab of sealant on the OUTSIDE just to help protect the area in case I run over debris there. If so, then what do I use (silicone, or something else?)

or

3) Take the tire to a repair shop and have it patched from the inside as a pre-emptive measure

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jaynews

Give it the soapy water treatment, or just spit on the hole, to see if the screw has made it through the belts and breached the tire's air chamber. If no bubbles, don't worry about it. If you see bubbles, have a tire shop repair it. If you are a normal driver, it'll not be of any significant concern. If you try for a new land speed record every time you get behind the wheel, ask the experts at the tire shop; they'll just love to sell you a new tire. Even if it is patched or plugged, the chances of a catastrophic failure are slight. It is commendable that you are paying attention to your tires. Many people don't bother to look at them until they are flat completely.

Reply to
Steppenwolf