Front end Question

96 Accord LX 5 spd.

When I am driving, the wheel seems to "feel" every nook and lump in the road... I just replaced the Upper control arm ball joint, the brakes are working fine.

There is a lot of bearing howl in the front, but no loose play in the wheels when jacked up..

So my question is: Bearings or steering rack?

Anyone have this problem before?

BD

Reply to
boondocks

Is it possible it's tire trouble?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Tires are fairly new , and this problem has gotten gradually worse over the last month. Another reader suggested it may be the stabilizer bar bushings and I think he may have something there... They are original, and all cracked,etc. I am going to pick up a set today and attempt to replace them myself - provided I can get the old rusty bolts out...

Thanks,

Reply to
boondocks

boondocks wrote: provided I can get the old rusty bolts out...

Hack saw. bob (tie rods OK?)

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Well...

After little effort (unbelievable) the bush> provided I can get the old rusty bolts out...

Reply to
boondocks

"boondocks" wrote in news:YaQ2h.40377$P7.30428 @edtnps89:

My stabilizer bar bushings were very easy to change. the rest of the fronts took a bit more effort. The rear bushings were an adventure.

I didn't.

Have a look at them. Primary one is the great big one in the trailing arm.

Keep in mind that your shocks will be a tad loose after all those miles. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough to keep it from feeling like it did when new.

And don't discount the effect of tires. Tires can introduce or remove a

*very significant* amount of precision in suspension-feel quite independently of the suspension itself. I recommend the Yokohama ES100.
Reply to
TeGGeR®

Yokohama ES100 not good for Canadian snowstorms...

I will have a look at the rear suspension today sometime... But the play seems to be coming from the front end..

The tires will remain as I can't affrod new ones right now.

Reply to
boondocks