front wheel bearings.

I just put front axles in my 89 civic LX and while I was doing that I noticed some play in the hub. I plan to replace both front bearings but have some questions that hopefully can be answered here.

Are the front bearings pressed into the hub? because I can find bearings online but not a hub/bearing assy. would it be easier to go to a pull apart and get the whole steering knuckle?

is there a web site I haven't found yet where I can look at a schematic or diagram?

I used to work in automotive and had access to Mitchell online and alldata, is there something similar for free??

I appreciate any and all help, and I hope my bearings don't melt before I get it.

Reply to
Elsie Gundo

if the bearings really do need replacing, and it's not common on your vintage honda, the cheapest quickest way is to just get some use knuckles from a junk yard. something in the range of $40. new bearings are $60+, and you have the labor to change them on top of that. yes, they're pressed in.

be sure of your bearing diagnosis. aftermarket axles are not all the same - notably, the outer joint is a different size between the 88-91 civics and later years. these days, parts stores try to sell you the larger newer version, and while it will go in, it'll mess up the knuckle seal. if you tightened against that seal, the bearing may indeed seem to be loose when actually, it's an axle issue.

Reply to
jim beam

thanks for the reply Jim, She is still going, I have been feeling the wheel after driving and I figure if it isn't too hot to lay my hand on and I am not hearing any abnormal roaring from the front that changes in the curves that everything is fine for now. I changed the axles myself in the driveway and while the axle was out of the left side there was maybe an inch of up and down play moving just the hub. I think 5/16 of an inch of play is normal? and it didn't sound too good without the axle in,it also got very hot on the test drive but since then has not gotten hot at all, a little warm maybe. It seems to be performing well right now, I think I will leave it till it gets worse, thank you for the advice I think I will start looking for a pull apart that has what I need.

Reply to
Elsie Gundo

the heat comes from braking under normal circumstances. if the bearing was shot enough to be generating that much heat, you'd hear it.

no. something is seriously wrong. to get that much play in the bearing, the balls would have to be missing. hard to believe that's what has happened here.

see above - heat comes from braking.

if you have 5/16 of play, you need to get the vehicle checked by someone with experience. this is a primary safety issue.

Reply to
jim beam

the heat I was experiencing was after the test drive after replacing my axles. I removed the brake caliper in the process so some excess heat was generated from seating the front pads.

I am experienced. I was mistaken. RWD vehicles are allowed a small amount of play in the front bearings, FWD are not allowed any play. I don't see the safety issue, if the bearing melts I get stuck on the side of the road...so what, I am a 43 year old 6'3" 235 lb man that carries a gun, I should be OK.

Reply to
Elsie Gundo

the heat I was experiencing was after the test drive after replacing my axles. I removed the brake caliper in the process so some excess heat was generated from seating the front pads.

I am experienced. I was mistaken. RWD vehicles are allowed a small amount of play in the front bearings, FWD are not allowed any play. I don't see the safety issue, if the bearing melts I get stuck on the side of the road...so what, I am a 43 year old 6'3" 235 lb man that carries a gun, I should be OK.

Reply to
Elsie Gundo

eh? you don't need to remove the calipers to replace the drive shafts.

i once saw a guy shoot his own balls off at a gas station on the way to phoenix in arizona. he had his magnum stuffed into the waist of his pants with the barrel pointed ready to do the job. doubtless his excuse was that it was ok to wear his piece like that because he was "experienced" too.

Reply to
jim beam

they do if you are replacing the brake pads and rotors at the same time.

Dumbasses come in all shapes, sizes and flavors don't they. :-D

Reply to
Elsie Gundo