fuel

1990 accord ex 160.000 mi when i start driving my fuel goes down to E the car does not sutter or cut off when i stop at light or put in park it goes back up just had my car fuel system cleaned please help.....
Reply to
briteize32

So the fuel gauge drops when you are driving the car and goes back to normal when you stop? If so, does the fuel gage drop when you rev the engine in park? In other words, is it related to the car moving or the engine speed?

If it is related to the engine speed, the problem might be electrical in nature.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

---------------------------

Please explain: 'fuel system cleaned'?. Sounds more like a poor connection or a ground wire off.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Or perhaps his voltage regulator (I believe the dash has one) is shot.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

My first thought was ground problems as well. The engine ground (the braid at the top front of the engine) is notorious.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Ground problems are hard to find sometimes. I've had pretty good luck using a booster cable and bridging it across normally connected points to see if the problem goes away. Even after one finds what bridge fixes it, it is often still a head scratcher where the actual missing connection is.

To the OP, you might want to try this: use a booster cable's negative connection only - don't use the positive side at all. Tie one side to the battery's negative and bring the other side to any point that should be connected to ground. (engine, frame, dash, etc -- make sure you know what you are doing, because connecting it to the wrong point can cause damage). Most exposed metal pieces are tied to ground. "walk' this cable across connections to see if your problem goes away. Once the the booster cable makes the problem go away, you'll have to figure out where the missing ground connection is - often a loose screw or bolt holding down a wire to the frame is the problem. My bet is that a connection from ground connection to some major component in your dash is missing or bad. This will take some detective work.

Remco

Reply to
remco

thanks guys i will check those out.