Fuel Antifreeze additives

What's the lowdown on products like Heet? I have a nearly new '06 Civic (about 11k on it) and we're heading into some fairly bitter cold here in Chicago. I used to use Heet regularly in my GM products. Any reason
why I shouldn't now?
Thx.
Robert Barr wrote:

Most gasolines already have additives in them that prevent freezing. In particular, if your gasoline has ethanol in it (like 10% ethanol), then you definitely don't need it. The ethanol itself is a gasoline antifreeze.
But wait! Don't take my word for it. Take the words of two nuts with degrees from MIT:
http://cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2003/March/02.html
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Hi, If the gas is winter blend. Alcohol absorbs moisture. Nothing special.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Last I was at a Sunoco station (in the summer, no less), there was a sign on the pump that it contains 1/10 ethanol. The winter blends usually are oxygenated fuels. The oxygen parts means that there are ethers and alcohols and other molecules that absorb water well.
Of course, usually fuels don't freeze in the summer.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Hi, I don't let fuel level go too low in the winter. Condensation can cause water in the tank when it is too close to empty. I live in Alberta where temp. can go as low as -35F or even lower with wind chill of like -50F. Battery in bad shape can have slush inside when car is parked outside.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Wind chill doesn't affect your gas.
As for additives, your basic methyl hydrate is all I ever used (BC Interior, similar climate to much of Alberta)... but yeah, gas in these climates is generally sold with any necessary seasonal additives already blended in.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Yet winter air has very little water vapor in it. So, unless the car or truck spends lots of time indoor (e.g., in a garage), I don't think this makes too much difference.
None the less, this is a good idea.

Jeff wrote:

Once you hit about -20C or so, you can see the ice crystals floating by from the moisture in the air freezing :)