Fuel in my oil

I just recently got a crx given to me and their is some problems with it. My concern is I pulled the oil dip-stick and its over full level and it smells like fuel, any suggestions?

Reply to
timeldorado

Raw fuel is being dumped in at least one cylinder, washing the protective oil film off of the piston rings, collecting in the crankcase, diluting the oil and causing great wear to the block/bearings/rings and any other point at which engine oil is acting as lubrication. Get this fixed *immediately*. Have a dead miss? maybe the plug in that cylinder isn't firing, so it might be a relatively simple cure. In any case, after repairs, a couple of oil changes to flush the contaminated oil out of all areas of the engine is in order. In any case, don't use the car until you have it diagnosed by a real mechanic or you might cost yourself an engine.

Reply to
Steppenwolf

To raise the oil level is a LOT of fuel in the oil. It is unlikely that it is entering via a cylinder. I don't know what year you are talking about, but if it is older and the FP is mounted on the engine, look for a bad diaphram on the fuel pump. Could be entering there...

Reply to
Pablo

timeldorado wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.carstalk.net:

What year CRX? Does it have a carb?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

That's my thought. If it isn't a bad fuel pump (as you describe) the engine should be running mighty badly to dump that much fuel past the rings.

Once the problem is found and fixed an oil change is definitely in order. I've heard the argument that the oil will still work okay with a lot of fuel in it and the fuel will gradually burn off through the PCV valve but I don't see the point in letting it go.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That doesn't sound like a valid argument to me. The excess fuel will function as a solvent thinning the oil and reducing its lubrication effectiveness. If the original poster's car is carbureted, then it could be that the carburetor is flooding. This would be the first thing that I would check.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Dunno - I've had float valves jam and flood the engine so it wouldn't run and still not reach the point where it was obvious in the oil. A bad engine-mounted fuel pump can add a steady stream of gasoline. If the engine has been running okay the fuel pump is the way to go.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Good points, I guess that both the fuel pump and the carburetor should be suspect. Thanks.

Eric

Reply to
Eric