fuel injector cleaners

With today's gasoline detergent additives, are fuel injector cleaners (gumout, stp, etc.) needed? If so, how often should they be used?

Reply to
fullness

i heard not to use gumout, it gets to hot and will burn the injectors. I dont know which to recommend but supposable every oil change your suppose to use fuel injector cleaner, but i am not positive on that.

Reply to
Shawn Taylor

_______________

In Canada, you can just use Mohawk Gasohol every now and then . . Seems to keep my injectors clean, and cured a dripping one.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Reply to
twfsa

In the USA, Shell (and probably Chevron) are good. I used to have a Nissan

300ZX that was very sensitive to gasoline detergency. I used cheapo stuff until the idle got lumpy and the clutch got touchy, then would use a bottle of fuel injector cleaner or a tank of Texaco (now owned by Shell), depending on how much gas was in the tank when I decided to do something about it. Either one would have the engine purring within about 100 miles. IMO the tank of good gas worked as well as a bottle of the cleaner and was cheaper.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mike, I agree with you. I saw an ad. several months ago from Chevron. The ad. said that they have the cleanest gasoline since they use the most detergents. I realize that we can't believe everything we hear or see in an advertisement but I have never had problems when I used Chevron gas and other major brands of gasoline. Back to the original question:: When should you use fuel injector cleaner? My answer--I'll tell you when I use it--when I notice any problems related to fuel flow. Jason

Reply to
Jason

That works for me. Stumbling or surging or hard starting (because of the fuel pump check valve not sealing well) are good reasons to try better gas or fuel injector cleaner. Easy and cheap solutions for vague problems are a good place to start.

I recall one gasoline brand used to invite customers to try it for five tanks, but I think one tank of quality gasoline does as much good as five.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mike, Agreed. The only exception that I can think of is to use it whenever a major tune-up is done. The local Honda dealership encourages its customers to have a tune-up every 30,000 miles. Jason

Reply to
Jason