Fuel Injectors Showing 2.7 ohms

I did an ohm check on my fuel injectors today, '91 Accord, 173k...They all showed a reading of 2.7 ohms.

Haynes says they should be between 1.5 and 2.5.

What does it mean that mine are at 2.7?

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

| Haynes says they should be between 1.5 and 2.5. @ 20ºC per

| What does it mean that mine are at 2.7? You did not deduct for your meter's test leads' resistance. Mine have 2.1 ohm @ 30ºC, 2 ohm @ 20ºC.

Reply to
TE Chea

They are okay. If anything goes wrong they will drop some (shorted windings) or go up a whole lot (broken connection). That they all measure the same, and in the ballpark, is a good sign. As 'Te' says, zero isn't exactly zero on low ohms of a DVM.

Backing up a bit, what led you to check the injector resistance? Is the engine running badly?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Interesting TE...and thanks for directing me to the AZ info.

Reply to
Tim

My Accord just hasn't been running with the same zip it once did so I thought I would check the injectors. Would there be anything to be gained in taking them out and soaking them in carburetor cleaner?

Reply to
Tim

absolutely nothing. if anything, you'll cause problems by introducing dirt. run injector cleaner through the tank, then attend to more likely causes like the egr system, valve clearance, ignition and timing.

Reply to
jim beam

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:J9adndqefYbHTaDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

It means you may have some lead resistance in yout test leads(that needs to be subtracted),or resistance in the connection to the injector. the low ohms range is vulnerable to that,unless you have a DMM with a 4-terminal ohms measurement capability.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

A bottle of Techron in the tank will do as well, and without the headaches that go with removing and reinstalling injectors. Dirty injectors usually show up more as stumbling, especially taking off from a stop. That is really obvious with manual transmissions, where the symptoms are very similar to a grabby clutch.

If the ignition parts (plugs, wires, rotor and cap) are getting old, this is a good time to replace those. You can use NGK plugs, but for everything else genuine Honda parts are a better bet than aftermarket parts. I was made a believer when my son used NAPA parts in his Acura and the rotor actually broke a few months later!

The Haynes manual for my daughter's '93 Accord has a slick test for exhaust restrictions, too. Paraphrasing:

*Connect a manifold pressure guage to the intake manifold and start the engine. Note the idle reading. *Open the throttle to stabilize the engine around 2000 rpm and watch the guage when you release the throttle. *If the guage returns to within a couple PSI of the original idle reading within two seconds, the exhaust is normal. If the reading hangs at the higher pressure for a few seconds or slowly drifts down there is restriction in the exhaust - maybe the catalytic converter, maybe the muffler.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee