fuel system additives

Is there a necessity for those fuel injector cleaner/system cleaner additives? I know they have cleaners in gas, but I usually put one bottle in at each oil change, full tank. Is it worth the extra cost
to do this? Does it make a difference?

What have you found the results to be over the period of time that you have been using the additives?
Do you believe that your vehicle has performed better?
Have you spent less money on fuel?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

yes, that's why it's mandated by federal law.

there is a federal minimum. but different brands vary from that, in some cases up to five times the minimum.

definitely. once every 3 months or so is fine.
A direct quote from Honda's internal dealer website: . Fuel injection (induction) cleaning/flushing is not recommended by American Honda. This is an unnecessary maintenance procedure and an improper repair procedure. If a Honda vehicle is experiencing a fuel injector malfunction, the faulty injector should be replaced. Injector O-ring and seal damage can occur.

Howard wrote:

the after-market cleaning/flushing sold by monkey-lube outfits /is/ unnecessary and it /can/ cause problems just like they say. but adding detergent to your gas sufficient to clean injectors, as is frequently cited here when people have "flooded" start problems, is a good idea and it doesn't harm o-rings or seals.

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 06:48:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nothing but 'snake oil'. As far as I know there are no auto manufacturers who recommend or suggest their use.
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

but additives are vital. the car manufacturers that "don't recommend or suggest their use" /do/ however seem very anxious to ensure that crappy gas that gums up fuel lines, leaves deposits in injectors, fouls intake valves and carbons up the combustion chamber is not misinterpreted as being /their/ fault.
http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

For some reason, the 'Top Tier' labels on the Shell gas pumps have disappeared in this area (south of Chicago). I don't know if this means that Shell dropped the program, or just in this area, or they just don't want to keep answering 'what's that sticker on the pump' questions.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Be careful, you may destroy catalytic converter.
Tony Hwang wrote:

wow, what is this thread??? an urban legend competition?

I use STP gas treatment. I maybe get another mile or twoper gallon out of that tank, so the cost is a wash. I also heard once a few years back that if you floor your vehicle it will "blast" the injectors clean. Is this true or myth as well?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

them open for longer, and that's not going to clear anything multiple short injections won't do.