Gas in my oil pan. 86 Honda accord.

Can anybody help me figure out why there would be gas mixed with my oil. I was working on carburetor last week or so and I let car set for about a day
or two. I went to start it up and I heard a grid noise in the engine the minute I hit the key. I did not turn engine on after that. I took valve cover off and it looked normal. I drained the oil and noticed a gas smell and oil was real thin. The car has been in good working condition before that. I have had no major problems with engine. If this has happened to anybody else or if you know what could be the cause let me know. The car is a 86 Honda accord 2.0L with carburetor. Thanks
If you worked on the carb, then I suspect the carb is dripping some fuel into the cylinders and going into the crank. Another option is the fuel pump is leaking past the diaphragm into the oil...
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
Steve wrote:

Will check, thanks for the info.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:37:36 GMT, "Dave R via CarKB.com"

your carb rebuild job is suspect.
keep in mind that if the carb is pouring gas into the cylinders then they might be full of gas and you can end up bending rods etc if you try to crank the engine.

Having just worked on the carburetor turns suspicions to the carb, but the usual culprit for gas in the oil is the fuel pump.
Mike
Except that these accords have an electric fuel pump.

Could be, but I believe not all... But if it were, than that could explain the constant fuel in the carb.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
All Accords. 1976 to current have an electric fuel pump. Some of the civics have a mechanical pump in the head, but only the very old ones (1987 and before, without F.I.)

And mounted inside the fuel tank...
Erik

I had a gas-in-oil experience years ago with a '73 Capri. The carb float had become saturated with gas and the needle valve didn't seat. When the car was parked on a downhill slant, gas siphoned from the tank, thru the carb, down the intake manifold into the piston bores, and into the crankcase. Checking your carb work would be a good place to start.
--Richard