Gas mileage question

I have one question, 2 different models of honda to apply it to. I have a 2005 crv ex and my wife has a 2005 civic lxg. What I want to know is, what is the "sweet spot" for highway cruising that
will give the best gas mileage? I haven't paid much attention until the recent spike in gas prices, but now with the price of gas the way it is, I'm more interested in conserving than getting from a to b in the quickest time possible.
So far, I'm thinking 2000 rpm for the crv (about 100 km/hr). I'm not sure about the civic, I haven't had a highway trip in that one lately.
Elroy wrote:

You're a little too optimistic.
About 50 mph is the sweet spot on modern cars. Used to be about 30-35 in the 1960's !! 50 mph is about 80 km/hr.
Elroy wrote:

At freeway speeds, the overwhelming factor is drag, not engine efficiency. So it's speed, not RPM, that matters. The optimal gas mileage for modern cars is below freeway speeds, so to save gas, drive at the slowest speed that is safe and you can tolerate.
Elroy wrote:

Like the others said, time to switch to a slower lane and a slower radio station. :-)
'Curly'
Luckily, you do not live in LA. Otherwise, you probably need to bullet proof your cars.

I agree with others, 50 is the most efficient. I've seen about 10% reduction per 10 MPH above that on my nav MPG.
Also, there's about 10-20% savings by keeping the AC off (if cold in your area). Also, keep sunroof / windows closed as they lose 10-15% in drag.
-MVL