Gas pumps all slow

Now that gas is $$$$, is it my imagination or do all the pumps run more slowly? Seems to take forever to get my 14 gallons. Maybe they want it to seem psychologically more valuable by making it slow???

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Pumps are slow when there is a large demand (lots of users on one tank taxes the submersible pump) or the filters at the dispensers are clogged.

Steve Triangle Pump Service

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Since when is it $$$$?

It costs me about $17 to fill my 88civic, thats cheap. My Volvo in the UK has the same size tank - its about $47 to fill that.

Reply to
K`Tetch

Just a guess, but at the slower flow rates it is easier to more accurately measure/meter the volume dispensed. At $2~$3 per gallon a few of us are a little festidious about getting all that we pay for, just as the dealers are a little worried about giving you only what you pay for.

Also with the tightening of the epa regulations it's much easier to control or limit the spill potential at the lower flow rates.

Reply to
Bubba

True enuf, cuz it sure hasn't reduced traffic on the 405, but you know what I mean. I expect gas price to stablize around $3/gallon by this fall, and I doubt if that will reduce the count of SUVs on the freeway, either. If we put a dollar a gallon tax on top of that, I wonder if it would have any effect. And yeah, we'd still have it cheaper than in Euroland.

And even worse, they drink it warm, I know, I know.

But getting back to the pumps, I thought most pumps used to have two speeds, and sometimes they ran slow when you put the lock on the trigger and you could get faster fill if you held it instead and squeezed it all the way. Then, at my favorite ARCO, that stopped working, and some other drivers were bitching and moaning about it, and I agreed. Then I thought it was still better at some local Chevrons, but now they all seem slow, too. Maybe it is a new state regulation to reduce pollution or something, but I don't think it's all dirty station filters, I see it in too many locations.

J.

Reply to
JXStern