Gas smell after very short run?

Page 1 of 4
08 Fit. We left it sitting in the dirveway for a while, and I pulled it in in the evening. The engine probably ran for 45 seconds, max. When I got out, there was the strong smell of unburned gasoline. Was
this just a startup artifact, or maybe a cold run (the funky little blue thermometer was still on)?
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Hi, I'm Michael Phelps and Olympic Gold isn't the only

Could be either the rich mixture typical of startup or it could be a fuel leak under the hood when cold. Those fuel leaks can be devilishly hard to see, but if you get a repeat of the gasoline smell it is worth sticking your head under the hood to see if the smell is stronger there or if it may just be from the tailpipe. I had an engine fire from a leaky injecotr once, so I take those smells rather seriously now.
Mike

Is it a stale egg smile?
possibly the ct/short journey effect nd poor qulity petrol
Still under warranty? Talk to your dealer service shop. They should know it that is a problem or not.

Woody wrote:

oh puhleeeeeeze - is this a chicken little competition?
when a car starts, you have to dump gas because the motor is not warm, thus the fuel doesn't fully vaporize, thus you need excess gas to get sufficient vapor density to burn. if you dump gas, then turn the motor off? where is the gas now? in the inlet, and /not/ being sucked into the motor. so where does it go? it evaporates back out of the air intake. thus you smell gas!!!
so that's all the o.p. is experiencing - a few seconds of excess gas because he hasn't warmed the motor. utterly trivial.

Maybe so, but it still does not rule out a gasoline leak. The risk is too great to just shrug it off.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

well, the neighbor kid could have been stealing gas too and spilled some. or theoretically, the vehicle /could/ have been drilled by one of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weakly_interacting_massive_particle
that actually /did/ interact precisely at an injector o-ring, and is subsequently just a bomb waiting to explode.
but somehow i doubt it. just like i doubt fuel leak on a sub-year old car made by a manufacturer with an excellent track record on this stuff. especially when we're told that the car has been run for less than 60 seconds and that we know about excess mixture on start-up, etc...
seriously dude, look at the big picture and assign probabilities.

Seriously dude, look at the big picture and assign probabilities, then look again and assign possibilities to check when the probabilities aren't the cause.....
DaveD

I'm most suspecting fuel injector failure - separation at the plastic/metal junction. That can occur at any age and mileage, often shows up when cold and may stop leaking when warm, and I've seen quite a few in my time... including the one that set my Nissan on fire before I could put the new injector in. On a nearly new car the possibility of a construction defect can't be discounted either; that is why the warranty exists. I am not advocating a witch hunt, just due diligence for something that can easily send the car up in flames.
Personally, I would feel less silly looking for a leak than I would looking at the charred remains and trying to answer the question, "why didn't you check it out?" To each their own.
Mike
Since the OP apparently does not have the mechanical knowledge or skills to look for the cause of the smell the only real solution is to take it to the dealer and have it checked out for safety if nothing else.

Woody wrote:

> Since the OP apparently does not have the mechanical knowledge or skills to > look for the cause of the smell the only real solution is to take it to the > dealer and have it checked out for safety if nothing else. > >
hey, can i have another "tempest in a teakettle" drama queen over here please? this one's simply not histrionic enough.
Michael Pardee wrote:

yeah, we get torched hondas reported here all the time!

as reported by the o.p. the following day. oh, wait,...

try rebooting your machine mike - the facts indicate a logic problem.

The point is it certainly can happen - there is nothing inherent in Hondas that exempt them from the possibility of engine fire. The smell of gas (should *never* occur with port injected engines) is a big red flag. Something is wrong.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

no dude - did you not read what i explained about exactly /why/ it occurs after a very short run like this??? true, it shouldn't occur after a warmup, and in that case, you /would/ investigate, but after a few seconds cold? gas stink is /inevitable/, and for the reasons stated.

Nope - and if you give it a try you will notice there is no gas smell unless you have a fuel leak. In fact, it makes no difference whether the engine is running rich (cold) or is warm. The fuel sprayed into the intake - whatever amount - is ingested with every stroke and stops before the engine stops turning, meaning the fuel is cleared away and never escapes.
In the old carburetor days it was common to smell fuel when cold, especially if the engine was flooded. The fuel collected in the carb throat, more so when cold because of the choke, and the fuel did not stop when the ignition was turned off. TBI also injects mighty close to the outside air and can produce a gas smell (although not what I would describe as "strong"), but not port injection. Lord knows I've changed enough air filters after pulling the cold car into the garage to know there is never more than a faint trace of gas after the filter is removed, and none before.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

rubbish.
not when the engine is cold. wet fuel lines everything south of the injectors. and if you start, then stop immediately, it never gets warm enough for it to instantly vaporize, therefore it /cannot/ get "cleared away".

then you're either not running on gasoline or you're in denial!

Try it and see.
I'm surprised nobody else is weighing in on their experiences with gas smell or not. I know none of the 5 cars at my house have gas smells even after rearranging them, which we do pretty much every night in the winter when street parking is prohibited. Two always end up in the garage and it never, ever, ever smells of gasoline. I even asked my wife, whose nose is better than mine.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

that says more for your sense of smell than it does basic physics.

So, you still haven't checked it out for yourself? Go ahead - science isn't painful. This morning when I pulled my 2002 Prius into the garage after my wife left (it had the same sort of run time the OP was describing) I opened the hood - no gas smell. I removed the air filter cover - no gas smell. I removed the air filter - no gas smell. I put my nose to the throttle body - faint smell of gas and crankcase odor. I'd say your theory of gas smells normally coming from the intake when the engine is cold is busted.
I am curious about what you would check out and what you would let ride. Many oil pressure light indications are the result of a bad sender; do you routinely ignore them? Engine temp lights and guages could be wrong, too. Clattering sounds coming from the engine could be innocuous. Smoke from under the hood can be anything. Diving momentarily to one side when braking may be a sluggish brake caliper, not a ball joint failing http://tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html . My point is that a gasoline smell is going to be the only warning any of us would be lucky enough to get before a fire that will destroy the car and, if it is parked in a carport or garage, may destroy a home. It is hard to imagine a worse outcome short of a failure that causes a crash.Why on earth would somebody choose to ignore it - especially if the vehicle is under warranty, as the OP's is?
Several years ago the entrance to our parking lot in Phoenix was blocked by a Cadillac. That afternoon I asked the guard what happened. He said the driver tried to make a U-turn and a ball joint broke. After the guard determined what the failure was, he asked her, "Didn't the steering wheel shake [pantomimes] when you went over railroad tracks?" She said, "Yeah! Just like that!"
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

that is what's called "ad hominem". and utter bullshit.

and the o.p.'s reported that hasn't he. oh, wait, you're just being chicken little.

drama queen.