gas tank door

02 Honda Civic.
Stopped for gas tonight, hit the release button on the floor and the little door covering the gas cap wouldn't open. We had to pry it open.
I guess the cable or something isn't working properly.
Any idea what it is and what it will cost to fix?
Thank you.

Have you tried to lubricate the cable?
Brian
No, how do you do that?

I would try spraying some on the cable at both ends, while working the lever to see if that will free it up.
Brian

Does the cable move ok? Mine did, and the door didn't open. Some minor bending of the "spring" at the door allowed it to do it's job of clearing the latch.
Nothing happens when I push the release button down to open the fuel door. However, when I pull it up, the trunk release does work.

Gas Release lever unlocks the gas cap. The metal spring swings it open. Check metal spring.