Gas Tank Level Theory

Page 2 of 2
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Elle"

In summer and winter, you are buying different blends of gasoline. That cold easily accont for the change in mileage.
Also... You should never use the fuel gauge to calculate mileage.
Fill up the tank and zero your trip odometer. Drive until you have about 1/4 tank remaining. Fill up, then calculate mileage based on actual miles driven. Do this several times and take an average.

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me

full
though
9.5
gasoline.
Not in my neck of the woods.
In some parts of the country, yes, there is a significant difference in gasoline "blends."

mileage.
Oy.
We're having a miscommunication.

you have

based on

average.
That's exactly what I do.
Elle wrote:

thats what i do, too. i also knew on my last trip to laughlin that i can usually make it there on a tank of gas.
almost all the way there, gauge is reading low. trip odometer says something like 285 miles. 11.9 gal tank, i usually get 32mpg. (380 to a tank?)
Waiving the right to remain silent, SoCalMike

So, how many gallons did you use for 285 miles..?

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me
Larry J. wrote:

Exactly - that's the interesting part.

i ferget. turned out to be something like 25mpg. incredibly low, but thats running close to 100 at times, with the A/C, and in 3rd or 4th gear. definate mileage killers!
Honda fits only short branch ( 4 into 1 pipe ), cheap & heavy cast iron * for its engines <2.2 litre, even a F22A's *'s twin pipes are short. Result is lower though adequate torque @ low rpm ( as during buyers' test drives ), but very low ( < as much ) torque & mpg @ high ( >3000 ) rpm, this inadequacy expands with rpm. http://circletrack.com/techarticles/73598 In 6-02 I saw a new Civic vtec 1.6 litre engine with very short * : a waste of vtec ( no way is torque / mpg esp @ high rpm maximised ). www.turborick.com/gsxr1127/gasoline.html para 10.2(1) indicates how bad a civic's * is. Many car makers ( incl Nissan in Sunny 130Y, Hyundai in Sonata 2.4, Proton in Waja 1.8 ) save on *, because 99.99% buyers don't test drive on highways, or know / experienced a difference between short & long branch *. My F20A had crude carbon-core cables made by Sumitomo, efficiency was low ( even by 1990 std ) : longest cable has 12.7k ohm, this is why honda prescribes just 1mm plug gaps. www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm I've changed my F20A's spark cables 4x, present set ( German cables ) has just 0.2 ohm/ ft : when warm & w-o load, my F20A can idle @ just 600 rpm, with load ( gear & brake engaged ) then 550 rpm ( without shaking / stalling ). Plug gaps are 2mm. All these are impossible with crude carbon-core cables, this is why honda prescribes 77050 i.e. minimum 720rpm. How low can your original spec engine ( with crude carbon-core cables ) likewise idle @ ? Carbon can absorb RFI, but cannot conduct as well as metal : high efficiency cables makers coil metal wires around carbon cores, then use these coiled wires to conduct : spark size expands from to 3 mm, 10x brighter, colour turns fr deep to bright blue, 5x as loud.( in open air ). @ high rpm, any engine ( incl yours ) with 1 small coil & crude carbon- core cables will have very small sparks, low torque & loud exhaust noise, this inadequacy expands with rpm.