Generic Maintenance Question

This is not about Honda in particular ....
The manual Accord comes only in either Ugly Grey or Boring Silver. At least, there is a choice of evils! The interior is black -- and black only.
I guess they got the idea from Henry Ford.
Having bought one a few months back, I find that maintaing the black interrior is a nightmare. Every little thing shows.
Question: Any hints on how to make life easier?
I have already bought $ 10 floor mats to put (on top of Honda mats!) that can be hosed off. The seats, I suppose, I can cover up the same way with material that does not show each and every spec.
Just two days ago, picking up the teens from crew, one guy with muddy shoes has left a mess in the middle of the back -- the one part of the floor you cannot put a mat over! I suppose a shampoo job is in order.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
mt
On 04/26/2013 05:21 AM, Mike Trainor wrote:

does not compute: 1. you have kids and 2. you still have a stick up your ass about dirt specks. how does that work???
--
fact check required

It not my kid that is the problem -- she takes of her shoes, puts them in a grocery bag and puts on the pair in the car for the ride home. Never had a problem. Food has never been allowed in any car.
It is the others who can really mess it up .... some more than others.
But, even without kids, the black interior is a real pain. First and last time for me.
mt

Yes, one of them is grown ... After an education at a certian East Coast institution, she now works for a certain very large, hyphenated Wall Street financiial institution. Unlike her poverty stricken dad, she likely will never own a Honda. If she gets into pole dancing at all, it will be managing an acquisiton of a club chain for some private equity outfit .... with a nice bonus for the efforts. The other one is more likely to spend her life with marine animals .... and if she follows her sister, pole dancing will be something that she does with indegenous people is some far off land on a research trip.
Thanks, again, mate for the defence ... Glad to know there are people like you. But, sady, too few to save the situation.
mt

Intelligence without common sense is a sad thing.
On 4/26/2013 8:21 AM, Mike Trainor wrote:

After the "run away acceleration" fiasco, the big lesson seemed to be: Do not put unanchored mats on top of the regular mats. They can wedge the gas pedal.

Thanks. Luckily I drive standard and all I need to do is hit the clutch and turn off the ignition.
Nah, kidding. I know it is a danger and have had the opposite happen in my Subaru, many times, as I have a heavy, electrical safety rubber mat on top of what came. It used to sometimes slide *under* the accelerator and one wouldn't be able to push down beyond a certain point!
But so far there have been no real issues with that. OTOH, one of my old Subarus used to get in throttle stuck (had electronic ignition, though) on the first start after a cold night. The engine would rev up to 4,000 rpm+ and stay there. The way to release it and get going was to just let in the clutch and hit it again before the car took off. Sometimes I needed to do it a couple of times before the beast calmed down. Once it did, it was quite normal after that.
mt