GM tops reliability and regains market share

Page 1 of 2
The many changes made by GM appear to be paying off. While Buick and Cadillac models are now tops in relibility over all other makes, the recent incentives have pushed sales up 41 %. GM has increased its
market share from 23% last year to 31% this year. This is expected to increase, as GM drops the incentive programs in favor of lower prices on most models. GM sales in Europe have risen 28% over 2004, while it is closing in on Volkswagen, which is the number one seller in China.
Among the losers is Toyota, which is taken the brunt of the General Motors offensive. It is hard to beat great prices, great reliability and great product!

And this is important to the Honda new group because ...?
Stewart DIBBS
Well Hondas are priced high due to their perceived quality so if gm has closed the gap Honda has new competition!! Important to the group because if you're looking for a car, might want to look at gm
Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Owning a GM is okay if you have a good deal with the local tow truck operation. I speak from experience {;^(
But I'm much better now, I've been a happy and satisfied Honda owner since 1979.
Brian
If your looking for a headache look at a GM product!
Tom

I'm sure you meant to say "reliability", but could you please reveal the source of this conclusion. What study or what survey says so?
Bob
the

rjdriver wrote:

Sure, the source of this information is the 2005 JD Powers Survey and yes, I meant 'reliability'. Thanks!

Hmmm, relibility. So GMs are now relible. Sounds like a subject for a Monty Python script ... "something about my car you find relible..."
I've always though that the JD Powers Initial Quality award is a bit specious. All new cars are pretty nice (or is that nice and pretty?) for the first 6 months. A far better measure is how the car has lasted after 2 years or so.
Stewart DIBBS
Well you won't get reliability in a GM piece of shit, what have you been smoking?
Honda and Toyota haven't has to resort to employe pricing, because there sales are not in the toilet like the big 3.
Tom

what studys show that JUST the reliablity is making GM increase in sales? Have you looked on the side of the road lately? Theres GM's reliability!

That shows that they have added the reliability that their products will break down more. {;^)
Brian
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Interesting. We own a 2003 Honda Accord and a 2002 Olds Silhoette. Both have spent more time in the shop than I would expect to see. The Honda just got a new transmission under warranty while the Olds is presently having the A/C condensor replaced at a cost of $900.
The Honda has gone through brake pads much faster than one would expect and needed new rotors sooner than any other car I have ever owned.
My personal experience is that GM has been improving quality in recent years while Honda has been cutting corners. The gap is not what it used to be.
Johnj
I could not care less about what happens at GM. Honda products are not perfect just way better then anything GM builds here. Honda has never needed to resort to pricing discounts to sell their cars and have a reputation for quality second to nobody and high resale too boot. Now even in GM's Saturn Vue you will find a HONDA 3.5 v-6 engine , appears like they know whats good also. Scott
zonie wrote:

---------------------------
I wouldn't buy a Saturn Vue if it came with THREE Honda engines in it . . . You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Resale value may be a bit better on that version, but time will tell :-(
'Curly'
I wasnt trying to say the rest of the car was any good. Just making a statement . I woundnt have one either. Honda for me. Scott
zonie wrote:

You must be forgetting the first generation Odyssey and that hack job built by Isuzu and sold by Honda. Isuzu called their version to Rodeo. I can not remember the Honda name.
Honda also has rebates on several models right now, including the Accord. They just don't call 'em rebates. They call it "marketing support" to the dealerships and the number is hidden from customers.
see: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/accord/100452181/incentives.html?vdp=off&setzip 037&state&tidmunds.n.incentivesmip.incentives.3.6.Honda*
In a way this is more devious than a straight up rebate as if you don't know about it you may not get as good of a deal as a more informed person does.
Yes, GM currently is discounting it's vehicles more than Honda is, but that is not the same thing as it is to say that Honda "never needed to resort to pricing discounts". Your statement simply isn't true.
John

That would be the Passport. I had one, and in over 105,000 miles it was completely trouble-free. When I no longer needed an SUV for work, I got rid of it, because it got only 16 mpg (mostly highway driving) on a good day.

models that have fared fairly well in Consumer Reports reliability ratings -- like Buick LeSabre and the like, but Cadillac is still in the toilet. I would never trade my Prelude for anything GM makes -- and that includes a Corvette. And, I have owned a couple Corvettes before.
Best thing about my Honda and others I see, the paint isn't falling off, like I've seen on alot of GM and Chrysler products, if either manufacture had any balls they would re-paint those vehicles at no cost to the owner.
Tom