GM U.S. July sales down 19.5 percent, Honda up 10.2%

Page 1 of 3
The only "good" news for GM was that Ford and Chrysler were off even more at 34% for Ford and 37% for Chrysler.
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060801:MTFH53056_2006-08-01_18-18-15_N01198474&type=comktNews&rpcD
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060801/latu106.html?.v `
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060801:MTFH52516_2006-08-01_17-50-29_WEN2865&type=comktNews&rpcD
http://yahoo.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type ΊsicIndustries&storyID=nN01439295&WTmodLoc=HybArt-R2-IndustryNews-2
Add pictures here
βœ–

According to the news tonight, Toyota is #2 for July, passing Ford.
Add pictures here
βœ–

more
Confrimed in the Business section of our paper today -- "July vehicle sales rise for Toyota and Honda..." GM sales were off 31.2% for trucks and cars down for 2.7%. Chrysler was downs 40/23.5 percent respectively. So even their cars present sales problems.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Toyota and Honda sales are bolstered by the midget cars that are in vogue today. GM and Ford do not offer midget cars. Seems to me that is temporary. Midget car buyers are not generally the average US new vehicle buyers that buys a new vehicle every three or four years. Fords hit was the F150, but it is end of the model year. Major F150 buyers will soon be buying 2007s, not leftovers.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike Hunter wrote:

You are the master of SPIN Mr. Hunt. Perhaps you should be working in PR or as a government Press Secretary.
Yes the market has moved to more fuel efficient vehicles, and no, the US makers are not strong either in product or brand image with regard to said fuel efficient vehicles.
Ford and GM lived high off the great 1990s truck boom, but that fad is over and is not likely to come back. Large trucks are likely to fall back to the 20-25% of the US market they enjoyed for many decades and away from the ~50% level of the 90s and early 00s. Fads come and go, it is their nature. This fad is over and the US makers are caught with their collective pants down, again.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
You are entitled to your own opinion but I am simply stating facts. Actually the fuel economy of the comparable cars and trucks that both GM and Ford have to offer are as good, or better. than import brands. Where they fall short is in the midget car class where the do not generally offer a competitive vehicle. When one considers the drive home price difference between the domestics and most imports, the domestics have the advantage for an astute buyer. One need prepay for their fuel by spending an extra 20% or 30% to get a few more MPG. The Koreans do a far better job of fuel economy for the price than the Japs. Both GM and Ford have more vehicles that get 30 or more MPG than any of the imports.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
What you call the "midget class," oh top posting one, is the class of the future, at least until some kind of technological breakthrough allows us to move away from fossil fuels. The US mfgrs. should have known this but instead of planning long term, they've been milking the SUV craze while it lasted, and now they're paying for it. You're also completely disregarding reputation for quality, which is indisputably in favor of the imports. One thing that you got right in your post is that the Koreans are likely going to make a strong showing over the next couple years.
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

If what you are saying is true, the Pinto, Vega, Horizon, and other little crap boxes would still exist. I heard your words many times in the past, but it was only temporary.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The Omni/Horizon were decent cars. They had the 2.2 4 banger -- great little durable engine. Small cars get bad reps for being junk, unreliable. Usually it was lack of maintenance. People who buy cheap cars tend not to maintain them as well as more pricier cars because of the cheap initial cost of the cars and that these economy car buyers tend to be of a lower socio-economic class. A lot of Yugo buyers never bothered to change their oil and would have the Yugos with their seized engines towed to the dealer angrily demanding a new engine and when told no, replied "you expect me to change oil on a $3900 car!?" But the Yugo engine is actually a bulletproof, reliable, easy to maintain engine.
-
Add pictures here
βœ–
An engine made by FIAT to boot ;)
mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
designed, not made. However, if you can keep the rust monster at bay, an old FIAT will actually last quite a long time; when I was a kid a neighbor down the street had one of those little red boxy looking FIAT coupes, and his wife drove the wheels off of it. It was a cute little thing, and since he kept up with the maintenance (and squirting oil up into all the nooks and crannies apparently,) last I heard it was handed down to his daughter.
Apparently you can make a neat little GTI type racer by mixing and matching FIAT and Yugo parts...
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

well, the Fox-body certainly lasted long enough... I think that had some Pinto genes in it, no? the Vega was a POS from the get go though, although it certainly was a sharp *looking* little car. Too bad GM didn't see fit to put an actual engine under the hood instead of the grenade they stuffed in there. You forgot to mention the Chevette as well, which was another GM compact that simply disappeared off the roads almost as soon as it was discontinued. The Horizon was a poor imitation of the Rabbit...
meanwhile, up until very recently, any of the import brands offered just the kinds of vehicles that you sneer at. Now that fuel prices are going up, they're bringing over some of the smaller models (Yaris, etc.) to fill the gap left when they moved their existing models upsized and upmarket.
nate
(still miss my old VW Scirocco... couldn't kill the damn thing even at 240K miles, and it would get close to 30 MPG if you could keep your foot out of it. Sold it because I thought I wanted a new car, that was dumb. Can I have it back now please?)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Among my collection of old cars there is a 1971 Pinto. Currently there is 305K on the clock. Looks and runs as good as new. It even wins it class at old cars shows. Know what I have yet to see at an old car show? ANY Japanese cars, in my class, except for a low mileage XR7 or a 'Z' car on occasion in the sport class. Lots of British, German, even French and Italian small cars from that era but hardly ever see a Jap car ;)
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike Hunter wrote:

That's odd, I've seen quite a few B210s done up for vintage racing.
nate
Add pictures here
βœ–
Perhaps, with all new drive trains, but not originals at old car shows ;)
mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
Rebuilt, maybe, but not non-Datsun.
How many '65 Mustangs still have original, unrebuilt engines?
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
I have one of those as well. ;)
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
N8N wrote:

Just remembered, I've seen a couple of those little Datsun 2-seat convertibles (pre-Z car) nicely restored as well. At least one at each of the last couple local car shows I've been to.
nate
Add pictures here
βœ–
No offence, but I wouldn't buy one of those small cars if I was paid too. I drive a Bonnie. It is a supercharged 3.8L V6 and *still* get's almost 30MPG on the highway. She will move fast, she looks great, and is safe as safe can be. If small cars are the 'future' you wish to see, then I want no part of it and will keep my Pontiac.

Add pictures here
βœ–
That's your prerogative, and I can't really fault you for the choice because the 3.8 is probably one of the best engines GM has made in quite a while. I just prefer something lighter and more nimble, and I don't worry about what most people think of when they say "safety" i.e. passive safety features - I prefer to drive defensively and rely on the handling/braking/acceleration of the car to keep me from wrecking. Been working for me so far... (knocks wood) this is why there are different kinds of cars on the market; you'd probably think my old 944 is too loud, rides too stiff etc. but it makes me happy to drive it :)
I don't really *want* to see any particular automotive future (although if it includes more sports cars, I'm totally OK with that) but the truth is that we're never going to see sub-$1 gasoline ever again, and maybe not even sub-$2. I'd be happy with sub-$3 right now...
nate
80 Knight wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–