GM U.S. July sales down 19.5 percent, Honda up 10.2%

The main F150 assembly plant in St. Paul is just coming back form a many-week furlogh, with discussions of going to just one shift instead of two, and mgmt hinting of more furloughs later this year.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Ford is lucky it never sold the Pinto (or much else) in Japan. The Japanese government takes public safety very seriously and they don't mind making an example out of any corporation/executive who puts it at risk.

The Toyota recalls are world-wide. World-wide, Toyota sells more cars than Ford. Also, the Ford recall is a continuation from last year when they recalled over six million trucks for the same problem.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Obviously you prefer to believe only those things you chose to believe, and will not change, even though Ford was exonerated in all three instances. Search the NHTSA and the Congressional Record for the facts, WBMA. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You must have missed the part of my post that said; 'an opinion based on your particular experience.' The facts, as I know them from serving thousands of corporate and government fleets in six states, are quite different. You are entitled to you own opinion, based on your personal experience with ONE vehicle in ONE fleet, but not your own facts pertaining to fleets in general ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

At least two; the last company I worked for had a similar vehicle program. Oddly enough we're talking about two of the very largest corporations in the entire world.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

and mighty GM!

Reply to
Just Facts

Why should that be a surprise -- since Toyota sells more than most others?

Reply to
Lee Florack

The US large personal truck/SUV market is going to contract by about 50% from it's peak. That is what it will take to get back to the 20-25% share of sales which represent the people who have a real need for trucks and are not simply buying them because it is a fad to do so.

Fads come and go, and the every man, woman and child needs a Suburban sized vehicle to sit in stop and go traffic with fad has run it's course. Who is going to go to a party and brag about their new Expedition today? Nobody. But, drive up in a tres chic Toyota Prius and you have something to talk about.

The genius of Toyota is that they have strong contenders in every market segment of consequence from the Prius on one end to the Land Cruiser on the other. Why can the world's second largest auto maker field a more competitive line-up world wide than do GM or Ford?

Hula hoops, beanie babies or Razer scooters anyone?

John

Reply to
John Horner

Yes, fads come and go but some actually are worthwhile. Remember how hot the minivan was and how many times it took Honda and Toyota to finally get it right. Ford and GM still can't. But in the end the minivan is a practical vehicle and while not as popular as before they will still be here when the other fad vehicles fade. Remember the "personal luxury coupes" of the seventies. The only who left is the Monte Carlo (the Grand Prix is sedan only now).

Reply to
Dave

The minivan will be around for a long time, but it's peak volume days are over (at least for the full size type).

Pickup trucks are usefull as well and will be around for a long time just as they have been ever since Model T versions were once made, but the days when people would buy them for long commutes to office jobs are probably over as well.

I'm not saying that the large truck / SUV market is going to disappear. I am saying that it is set to contract by about 50%.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Clearly you need to read up on how commodities markets work.

Reply to
jcr