guess the mileage

here's my last oil analysis:
aluminum 3 chromium 1 iron 23 copper 6 lead 2 tin 0
cSt viscosity at 100C 10.18 insolubles 0.3%
what was my change interval? bonus points for the brand of oil.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Mobil1 Full Synthetic, 12,000 miles...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Your horse has diabetes."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim beam wrote:

12,853 - Castrol GTX
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:02:57 -0700, jim beam wrote:

2,850 miles, Pennzoil.
--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

1,230 - Amzoil ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim beam wrote:

well, as the keen students of google were quickly able to ascertain, it was indeed 12k miles. full credits to to them, especially to joe who got the oil right, but i award a "good effort" to al for castrol since that is my #2 choice.
those numbers are pretty darned good btw, and if you care to check other analysis figures from other engine types others have posted around the web, you'll realize that honda make a darned freakin' good engine based on the iron content. iron is mostly cam wear and numbers in the hundreds are not uncommon for other makes of engine.
expanding further on the iron thing, the main reason i got this analysis done this time was because a couple of years ago, i had to do a quickie head gasket change, and simply didn't have the time to practice proper cleanliness. the cam got some grit on it, and thus got some big old scrape marks on it as some grit particles got trapped and dragged on around the lobes. i changed the oil again the following weekend, and left it thinking this would be my opportunity to go for a jdm motor change in the not too distant. well, here we are running mobil 1 a couple of changes later, the motor still runs like a champ, and the cam lobes look exactly identical, all scraped up!!! with a normal oil, i would have expected the worst of it to have worn down by now as part of the normal overall abrasion process. however, it appears that wear, even on these uneven surfaces, is absolutely minute. great oil - i recommend it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim beam wrote:

as confirmed by the oil analysis,

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What is it you claim tells a person that the interval was 12k miles?
I looked at some of the Blackstone Lab reports for Hondas. What seems most telling about how the engine is doing are (1) how the analysis changes from one oil change to the next (for the given mileage interval) and (2) how the analysis compares to the universal averages for a set interval.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.autos.honda.]

Because he has stated numerous times that he changes oil at 12K, with Mobil1 Full Synth. This I can remember, but don't ask me my wife's birthday... ;-)

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joe wrote:

indeed.
elle, 1. learn to filter out the sell - it's not necessary to analyze every time [unless perhaps you're on the extreme end of a longevity experiment]. 2. just accept that absolute values are highly important. thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.