Hanging air freshener badly marked up center console

Hi All,
I have a weird problem. I have a 2001 Honda Civic DX. As you know, there aren't a lot of places to hang stuff, so when I bought this hanging air freshener, I hung it from one of the plastic vents in the
centre instrument console. After a few days being in the sun, I notice that where the freshener was contacting the plastic now has this sticky residue on it. I tried scrapping it off, but it marked up the console. It then dried and now it looks awful with all my scratch marks in it. I tried using WD-40 to remove the (now dried) residue, but nothing happens. Short of taking a brush and scrubbing the residue off, what options are there?
Has anyone had this problem?
Help!!
Derek

Howdy Derek,
Always try soap and water first, before trying a chemical on a chemical. Start with that now and see if it helps at all. Get a towel wet and soapy and put it on the spot for a few mins, to see if it will soften it up and help get it off.
The find the air fresher (in the store) and call the company that makes it (if in the states) and see what they might have to say about cleaning up spilled airfresher that comes in contact with dash plastic.
Or if you don't want to go through the trouble, just use any interior car cleaning solution, made for the material you are trying to clean (plastic, vinyl)
-- Type 2 - Dx'ed 11/2001 No meds - A1c 4.8 7/2004
Derek, if im not badly mistaken the one you were using is the whole that hangs over the a/c vent and is in a glass bottle. The liquid in that glass bottle actually will melt the plasic on your car.
My friends mother bought a new Nissan Xterra and that liquid got onto her dask board and melted some of it. It made daskboard look like crap, and there isn't anything that can be fixed. It's melted.
The company who made it needs to be SUED, and its products should be stated that it contains a liquid that melts plasic.