Happy Key Fob Story

OK, so the 3-button + Panic key fob/remote for my 07 Accord went through a complete clothes washer cycle in my pants pocket (I know, I know...)

I immediately realized what I had done and tried to open the case, remove the battery, and dry it out as best I could-- of course without pushing any of the buttons and closing the circuit. But the little Phillips head screw wouldn't budge-- and I burred it a little bit. One YouTube video recommended a drop of penetrating oil and sitting over night so I tried that-- no joy.

Next day, I took it to the best locksmith in town to see if he could get it open. He worked on it for a good 10 minutes-- eventually rounding the slots completely (with my permission) and gave up.

He recommended just putting the key out in the sun all day, heating it with a hair dryer, or hanging it in front of the air conditioning register in the house. Well, I tried all those, even leaving it hanging on the register for a almost a week.

So today was the day. Happily I was able to start/turn off the engine with it and then I pushed the buttons for the first time--- and damn if it didn't work perfectly. Lock, unlock, trunk, panic. Remains to be seen I guess for how long it stays that way.

Not sure what I'll do when the battery dies-- maybe drill out the screw or some such...

Reply to
William Munny

I've never owned a car with a key fob. Do new cars come with more than one? What happens when you lose it and need a replacement fob?

Reply to
cameo

Generally comes with two, and if you lose it, it's no problem money can't fix. Matter of time before you can do it with your smart phone, or a chip implanted in your gluteus.

J.

Reply to
JRStern