Happy Key Fob Story

OK, so the 3-button + Panic key fob/remote for my 07 Accord went through a complete clothes washer cycle in my pants pocket (I know, I know...)
I immediately realized what I had done and tried to open the case,
remove the battery, and dry it out as best I could-- of course without pushing any of the buttons and closing the circuit. But the little Phillips head screw wouldn't budge-- and I burred it a little bit. One YouTube video recommended a drop of penetrating oil and sitting over night so I tried that-- no joy.
Next day, I took it to the best locksmith in town to see if he could get it open. He worked on it for a good 10 minutes-- eventually rounding the slots completely (with my permission) and gave up.
He recommended just putting the key out in the sun all day, heating it with a hair dryer, or hanging it in front of the air conditioning register in the house. Well, I tried all those, even leaving it hanging on the register for a almost a week.
So today was the day. Happily I was able to start/turn off the engine with it and then I pushed the buttons for the first time--- and damn if it didn't work perfectly. Lock, unlock, trunk, panic. Remains to be seen I guess for how long it stays that way.
Not sure what I'll do when the battery dies-- maybe drill out the screw or some such...
--
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
On 9/10/2013 9:25 AM, William Munny wrote:

I've never owned a car with a key fob. Do new cars come with more than one? What happens when you lose it and need a replacement fob?

Generally comes with two, and if you lose it, it's no problem money can't fix. Matter of time before you can do it with your smart phone, or a chip implanted in your gluteus.
J.