Head gasket sealant question

OK...I'm ready to start putting my engine back together. Does anyone know if there's anything out there you can use to make sure there's a good seal on the head gasket when I put the new one on. For instance I was wondering if you could use some of that high temperature Permatex gasket maker stuff to make sure the thing was sealed for sure. I don't want to put it on and then find that there's a leak afterwards.

Also what do you use to clean up the camshaft, Pistons, etc? I calle NAPA and they quoted me 125 USD for a five galllon jug of "parts cleaner". That seems very expensive and I don't know if I should use it without harming something.

Reply to
Duarte

You should really check the manual specific for your model. However, most Hondas require nothing on the head gasket. All metal surfaces should be as clean as possible. Use of any sealants will likely lead to the failure of the new head gasket. Also be sure to use the correct head bolt torque sequence. Again, a manual specific for your model will be invaluable here.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

No sealer for the head gasket. It is a "crush" gasket; all those metal rings compress to create the seal. Metal is about the only thing that would stand up to the tempratures and pressures where it seals the block/head joint.

You don't need five gallons of parts cleaner. The usual size of parts dip is a gallon can, which comes with a wire basket (at least in the brand I've bought: "Berryman B9 parts dip.") It really does the job on everything but carbon, and washes off with water. A couple small warnings - don't leave the lid loose because some of the powerful solvents will evaporate quickly, and don't get the stuff on you. It won't hurt you, but the smell lingers on your skin for hours, and you get sick of it in minutes. The camshaft and connecting rods won't fit in the can, but spray carb cleaner is satisfactory for parts too big for the can.

Say... you aren't going to rinse the parts off in the kitchen sink, are you?

Reply to
Michael Pardee