headlight lens

Page 2 of 2

Guess it's all about the money :-(

Huh. Googling ... huh.
But newer Hondas have different (roller?) cams and/or harder materials and don't need zddp?
J.
On 12/23/2012 11:59 AM, JRStern wrote:

check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/8063634686
there are three distinct regions.
below 1 - where there's no contact.
between 1 & 2 - where there's contact, but there's decent metal separation thanks to the oil's hydrodynamic film.
above 2 - where the film gets squeezed through by valve load and there's direct metal-to-metal wear.
it's this last critical region that's experiencing the most problem. with sufficient zddp, solid state lubrication prevents serious wear. back when oil had it as part of its spec, honda cams would look pretty much the same above #2 as below it.
hardness doesn't prevent wear because it doesn't prevent contact. it can increase the time to failure, but that's not the point. yes, they had to go roller. but rollers suck because they increase moving mass.
--
fact check required

Parking during the day in a shaded area certainly can extend the life of headlight lenses, though of course it doesn't solve the inherent problem. My '04 Accord's lenses are still perfectly clear (as one former US president used to say) because it has been garaged both at home and at work.
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 14:10:39 -0500, "Howard Lester"

That makes me think then it has a lot to do with the sun or ultraviolet rays. Of course I'm assuming the lenses are made of the same material and I could be wrong.
3M rubbing compound. Works really good and very easy I swear.