Headlight R&R: '95 Civic EX Sedan

So, the Chilton manual I've eagerly awaited for two weeks finally came in the mail, and guess what? It says *absolutely nothing* about replacing the headlight assembly - it just shows how to replace either a sealed beam unit or halogen bulb. So what I *really* need (hopefully today) is for someone to either list a step-by-step procedure, or link me to one online. I'd really appreciate it, as I work Fri-Sun nights, and was hoping to use the car this weekend...

I never thought I'd write this, but I wish I'd gotten the Haynes manual, instead.

Reply to
mjc1

Both Chilton and Haynes are brutal. Bite the bullet and get the Helm manual.

I think the URL is

High Tech Misfit

Too late for that for this job. Are there no procedures online, or someone who can dash one off for me? I know I'm unknown in this group, but I've helped a lot of people with Volvo problems over the years...

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13" wrote in news:Xbqei.7803$Fw5.4406@trndny02:

You have to remove the front bumper.

There are bolts at the bottom of the headlamp that hold it to the rad support. You cannot get at those until the bumper is off.

Haynes and Chilton are both shit. Get a Helm manual. It's the real thing.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the diagram. I'm not clear on the spoiler: does the EX have it, and what are the fasteners holding it on? And, most importantly, can I do this without removing all the bumper components completely? Can I get to the headlight bolts by lowering the left and center of the bumper? I'm not sure I'm up to completely removing and replacing a bumper I've never worked on. That "about $50" the dealer quoted is becoming more appealing...

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

A free online factory service manual for your Civic is linked at

Go to the electrical section, then exterior lights, etc. I see a one page set of instsructions for your job. It still may not be sufficient, but take a look. Chilton's is superior to Haynes and often just duplicates the factory service manual, in my experience.

Reply to
Elle

I did the following steps a couple of weeks ago to replace the front passenger side turn signal bulb in my daughter's 97 Civic EX, hopefully the 95 civic is not much different:

  1. raise the hood and secure it
  2. stare at the headlight assembly looking at the turn signal bulb with it's tail extending into the area between the outside fender and inside fender whilest saying, "I cant believe it is this tough"
  3. remove the top three screws holding the headlight assembly in place, assembly will not move yet
  4. discover another screw on the right side of assembly, remove it by sticking arm up air slot in front fender, assembly now moves a little bit
  5. turn front tires to the left
  6. remove all screws and pushdowns on front bumper cover left side
  7. discover and remove another screw holding headlight assembly above tire, assembly will now pull out with great difficulty
  8. remove bulb from assembly and replace with new bulb
  9. reverse steps for reassembly

This took 3 hours to figure out plus the trip to O'Reilly for the bulb.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Exactly what I need - thanks! As for the Chilton manual, this one covers Civic, 1984-1995, and is of little use. As I said, there is nothing at all on replacing the headlight unit. The online manual doesn't show disassembly of the bumper like Tegger's did - just nine screws and bolts, and it supposedly comes off in one piece. I hope....

Reply to
mjc1

Heh. I think maybe the bumper should come off. Plus they changed the body after '95... At least you know how to do it more quickly next time.

Reply to
mjc1

Thanks for the help, folks, especially Elle. The bumper R&R wasn't especially hard, in part because it had been damaged previously (I knew this when I bought it) and the lower bolts now don't have to be removed

- they now only hold on two rectangles of plastic. ;-) One of the side clips was tricky, because the previous owner had replaced it with an, er, aftermarket clip. And to aim that light it *really* helps to have a Snake Drive or similar flexible drive, as they have designed it so you can see the aiming screw but can't get most kinds of drives onto it. Happily I have a snake drive. For those wondering if the light can be replaced without removing the whole bumper, I'd say "probably, but not easily, and only with someone helping you."

Now, having saved about $130 (funny how the labor estimate shoots up when you are providing the part!), maybe I can afford to have a Major Service by the dealer, sans timing belt and water pump, which will have to wait another year or 18 months. If that doesn't improve the performance, and I still fail to sell my '86 Si, I may sell the EX in the Fall and put the Si back on the road...

Reply to
mjc1