Heat Shields & Catalytic Converters

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX and it's been making a rattling noise that just got worse today. I was told that the heat shield rusted off and I will now have to replace the entire catalytic converter. Though the
heat shield rusted off, the cat converter still looks good on the outside. So the question is, can I just have the heat shield replaced by itself or will I have to replace the entire cat converter? Also, does anyone else have this problem and approximately how much did it cost?

That's a new one on me! The heat shield rusting away is a common thing and I find it hard to believe it is not available separately.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

here's your plan of action:
1. find a new dealer that's not lying to you 2. puchase a new shield for $40 3. put it on yourself 4. be happy.
What if you just pry off the heat shield and never remplace it? I don't think it would affect the normal operation of the vehicule.

Jason wrote:

you're right, it wouldn't. but if you do, don't tell anyone or they'll bleat at you about the fire hazards of parking in long grass. or some such.

A few years ago fire investigators blamed a catalytic converter for a grass fire that damaged a number of vehicles parked at Arcosanti. http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000793.html
Mike
Living in the cold city of Montreal, there's no grass. (hehehe)

Michael Pardee wrote:

as a city dweller, can't say it bothers me much.
If it's a Honda dealer that's telling you that you have to replace the cat in order to replace the heat shield (which is safety related) remind them that your emission system is still under warranty.

I had a heat shield rattling on my '02 Accord. I just tied a wire from it to part of the frame to put enough tension on it to stop the rattling.