"Heat Shields" On A 2005 Accord Problem

Hello,
Not too automotive sharp, so would be grateful for some advice on this.
My son has a 2005 Honda Accord with 175K on it now.
Dealership just told him that the "Heat Shield," and the "Rear Heat
Shield" are 90 % gone.
Guess there are apparently two heat shield in question ?
a. Is this a safety issue ?
b. what are these things, exactly ?
c. If they are 90% gone, I assume the other 10 % will go shortly ? What's your opinion on this; a few months probably ?
The Dealership wanted $ 500 to replace. Reasonable, or...?
Much thanks, Bob
--
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hello,
Not too automotive sharp, so would be grateful for some advice on this.
My son has a 2005 Honda Accord with 175K on it now.
Dealership just told him that the "Heat Shield," and the "Rear Heat Shield" are 90 % gone.
Guess there are apparently two heat shields in question ? Are there two of them ?
a. Is this a safety issue ?
b. what are these things, exactly ?
c. If they are 90% gone, I assume the other 10 % will go shortly ? What's your opinion on this; a few months probably ?
The Dealership wanted $ 500 to replace. Reasonable, or...?
Much thanks, Bob
--
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's nice. See my reply in the other group you posted to.
Learn to cross-post.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/28/14, 3:49 PM, Bob wrote:

Start here...
http://bit.ly/1q9nfpe
--
The trouble with political jokes is that they often get reelected.


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:49:23 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:

Would have been nice for responders to post answers aside from snide commen ts and links to a search engine.
My previous 03 Accord had its heat shields rot off. Sometimes you can exte nd the life by several years by taking off some bolts and putting a larger diameter washer between the bolt and heat shield. My limited experience is that the heat shields tend to rust at the bolts. $500 seems too much, thi nk it should be half that at an expensive shop, under $200 at an independen t.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Links"? I didn't post any links to any search engine. I just told the OP he's not following Usenet protocol.
If OP can't cross-post or wants to multi-post for some weird reason, he should say so in each post in each group. Like this: "This identical post has been made to both rec.autos.tech and alt.autos.honda."
That way, readers know to look in both places to see if there have been replies, since any replies will necessarily be invisible to the other group.
Anyway, I cross-posted my rec.autos.tech reply so that it will show up in both groups. See today's messages.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/29/14, 7:47 AM, Dave wrote:

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
Pity you won't take either personal responsibility or initiative-- expecting everyone here to spoon-feed you basic info you can readily locate yourself-- then ask a question that requires some experience or specialized knowledge.
I told you to "start here" to find the basic info you needed but you've put on the cloak of the poor aggrieved helpless party. Man up son, grow a pair....
--
I’m not saying we should kill all the stupid people, I’m just sayin’
let’s remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out….
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2014-08-28 3:49 PM, Bob wrote:

Depends where you live. On my 91' Civic, I got a rattle after about 3 years. The dealer basically said: that's just a heat shield and yanked it off, no charge. Did the same when another shield started to rattle a few years later. The did not feel those shields were needed here in southern Ontario; at least for that generation of Civic.
Newer cars may be different. My 2003 Civic hybrid has not had any heat shield problems.
Check with an independant mechanic, about whether you even need the shields in your area.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

hanger around the heat shield to hold it on. Rattle gone. Second one--no rattle so I just ignored it. Been two years now and no rattle yet MLD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Worm-drive hose clamps are a MUCH better solution.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


Not completely under the car--tight area--was easy to do,; would have needed two clamps tied together--one coat hanger worked very well and the price was right. MLD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The problem with coat hangers is that it can be tough to achieve a lasting repair, since coat hangers can't be tightened positively the way worm-drive clamps can.
You can either get those really long worm-clamps that they use for plumbing, or string two of them together. Either way works just fine, even in tight spaces; in fact, /especially/ in tight spaces.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Typical.

Probably more than that.

Kinda sorta. If you tend to park over tall grass a lot and you heat-shields are missing, then there's a slim possibility of setting the grass a-smolder, or maybe even afire.

Pieces of thin sheet-metal that are formed to fit closely around the catalytic converter and some of the exhaust pipes, but just loosely enough that air can circulate between shield and pipe.

Can't say. Depends on the specific situation.
Usually they get loose because they get rusty. They will then cause odd buzzing, rattling, and sizzling sounds as the engine is revved

Replacing with new? That's probably a reasonable amount. Go see an independent garage. The indy place will have options that most dealers aren't willing to perfomr.
For instance, often you can extend their life by simply clamping them in place using ordinary worm-drive hose clamps.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Typical.

Probably more than that.

Kinda sorta. If you tend to park over tall grass a lot and you heat-shields are missing, then there's a slim possibility of setting the grass a-smolder, or maybe even afire.

Pieces of thin sheet-metal that are formed to fit closely around the catalytic converter and some of the exhaust pipes, but just loosely enough that air can circulate between shield and pipe.

Can't say. Depends on the specific situation.
Usually they get loose because they get rusty. They will then cause odd buzzing, rattling, and sizzling sounds as the engine is revved

Replacing with new? That's probably a reasonable amount. Go see an independent garage. The indy place will have options that most dealers aren't willing to perfomr.
For instance, often you can extend their life by simply clamping them in place using ordinary worm-drive hose clamps.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Huh. Even though I live in Los Angeles and with no salt on the roads I guess they mostly last forever, I had one get bent by road debris, went to the dealer because of the rattle, and the guy just bent it back by hand and sent me on my way for free - best service I've gotten at a dealer in a long time!
But why aren't these made of some better material if this is a common problem, I mean it's not like the exhaust system rots and falls off in the same time frame? Seems like ten dollars in material could prevent a nuisance and $500 repair in, well, nine year old cars?
J.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It's the salt that kills them.
If you've never lived in the north-east, then you've never experienced the hell that is rust.

I've wondered that myself. How much extra could semi-stainless cost over mild steel?
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Hah, I did for most of my childhood, then moved back for a couple of years as an adult. And heck, back in the day even average cars in California commonly rusted through after ten years or so, I've had my foot through the floorboards on several. I guess things are somewhat better these days.
When I had to drive for the first time on snowy roads every day, I wondered how the natives avoided accidents. I learned: they don't!
J.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.