HELP!!!!84 Honda ignition problems..!

HI when I turn the key on every thing turns on such as fan music lights,all the normal things but,the starter wont turnover,utill I try over and over again then finally the starter will engage and start the car,I took out the key portion of the ignition to were I can use a screwdriver but the problem is the same so I put the key part of the ignition back in,,,,,,do you think mabey the starter is starting to go? it souds fine when finally it does engage ,I think some wires might need replacing or something,,,,,,Any advice????????? coil? starter?

Reply to
crom

If it's not the switch, it's most likely the solenoid on the starter. The contacts wear, and are no longer making a good connection. MK

Reply to
nm5k

snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I had the same problem on my 94Integra. Some Honda starters allow replacement of the starter solenoid,some don't.Mine didn't,but I found a place online that sold me the rebuild parts for the solenoid,only $30 PPD.

It was a bitch getting the lower starter bolt out(no room for a big enough wrench),it was frozen into the block.I'd use anti-seize on the bolt threads when reinstalling it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yea, I just had that on mine about a month or two ago. But mine was not a ND starter, which is the brand that you can get parts for. Mine was the other brand, "starts with an "M", I'm vapor locking on the name... You can't get parts for it. Or at least I couldn't find any. So I had to buy a rebuilt starter. I kept my old still good starter motor. I'm having some slight flywheel problems with mine. It's like the flywheel is out of round, or has slipped a weld on the torque converter. Every once in a while it hits a "hard" part where it turns real slow, almost like it's too tight, and needs a shim. But most of the time it's ok. I fear an eventual torque converter changout in the future.. That should be loads of fun.. BTW, it had that tight spot using both starters, so it's not a problem with the starter per say.. MK

Reply to
nm5k