HELP: Can we use AC Delco parts?

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who owns a Honda mini van and he is about to change his timing belt and thought he might as well change the water pump and other stuff accessible when they work on his vehicle. He wants to know if it was ok to use non Honda parts like AC Delco? Any contribution will be appreciated. Thank you Winston

Reply to
Winston

No way. OEM, and nothing but.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

One has to research like mad to find out what companies make the different OEM parts for Honda. E.g. I know the oxygen sensor for my 91 Civic (among other Hondas) is made by Denso (formerly Nippon Denso). I know a company that sells the Denso ones.

For timing belt parts, I think the best bet are OEM Honda online parts sites such as:

Great drawings; Rhode Island.http://www.slhonda.com Click on "Parts and Service," then "Buy Parts Online." Great drawings; OEM Part numbers; California.
Colorado. I have used all three, though I've found the Colorado store needs a little watching. Still, they're great on the phone, and for orders over $50, they beat others for shippings costs.

Increasingly Honda dealership parts departments seem willing to ship nationwide. I just communicated with a Florida dealership this morning for trailing arm bushings, on a tip from another Honda forum. The Florida dealer in fact beat the Colorado online store for total costs.

"Winston" wrote

Reply to
Elle

"Winston" wrote in news:ebmdnTpEkcMmShjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sure is. You'll just be replacing them a lot more often than you would using OEM

Reply to
TeGGeR®

In the end, it will cost you more. In the 24 years I have owned Honda cars, I tried aftermarket rotors, pads, etc. etc. and everytime I ended up NOT getting the mileage out of the aftermarket parts.

If you want to save money, buy OEM from someone like Majestic Honda (google it). They are not the cheapest if you need one inexpensive item (minimum shipping), but if you need a complete package of items for maintenance, they can save you quite a bit.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Carefull use of aftermarket parts is not a bad idea, but I would stay away from AC-Delco for Hondas. AC-Delco is GM's aftermarket brand, and they don't make any of the parts. They simply buy them on the world market, and you never know what you are getting.

John

Reply to
John Horner