Help me fix my honda please?

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, I drive a 98 honda civic hatchback. last week I drove through some pretty deep water and started having problems. I know for a fact that I didn't hydrolock the engine because it didn't draw in
any water and the compression checks out fine. Immediately after driving through the water, I stated having a miss on one cylinder. The problem was the distributor cap was full of moisture. Right, so as general maintenance I replaced the cap and rotor. Now I begin scratching my head. After putting everything back together, the car won't start. It turns over, and it is getting fuel, so I've narrowed it down to spark. I've tried just about everything though, from putting the old cap back on, new plugs, checking the resistance on the coil, fuses, everything. I am pretty stumped. Any ideas?

Have you pulled a plug wire and actually LOOKED at the spark jumping from the plug wire to a handy ground?
Do not discount such very basic tests. You would be amazed how many people fail to do very basic checks and miss simple problems because of it.
--
Tegger

Wait till dark and go out with a plant sprayer and spray wires etc and wait for the light show.

Oooh, pretty blue lights. I've seen those.
--
Tegger

So have I . However it really narrows down the problem sometimes when you see the arcing.

yup,plug wires; once the insulation breaks down,there's no "going back",it's always a path for leakage. old plug wires are prone to that breakdown.
time to buy a new set of plug wires.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Have that stupid brother-in-law stick his little finger in the boot and hold on to the plug head with the other. If you have a stop watch handy you can also verify your tach. Just count the number of screams in a minute.
Now try that with a 40A magneto!!!

--

- dillon I am not invalid

An object's desireability to a dog is directly
On 3/26/2011 6:23 AM, Clete wrote:

The OP "drove through some pretty deep water and started having problems." BUT, it did still run. So he worked on the distributor, and then it didn't run. Something he did while working on the distributor is the reason it doesn't run. But, after he straightens out the distributor it may still not run well because he has flood related damage to an electrical component. He could get lucky and it could dry out and be all better again, but probably not. Many people seem to have to drive through "pretty deep water" one time to learn this lesson. Why suspect plug wires? They worked fine before he went swimming, wires dry off and are none the worse for having been wet. Does this model have an igniter which many have been the damaged by the water or the OP's repair?
Another trick I've used with old Fords was to hang a 40 watt bulb in the engine compartment and close the hood as best you can and leave on for a few hours. Dries everything out completely. Always worked.

That's a neat idea.
I hose down the engine compartment of my 03 Maxima every 6 months or so just to keep it clean. Sometimes it won't start afterwords so I get my leaf blower and dry out the engine compartment out with it. Has worked every time.
Al Moodie.

Hosing down your engine could be really bad. I would never even think about doing that.
Clete wrote:

Unless it's WD-40...
JT

If he was mud racing, I'd say go for it. If he was mud racing he'd probably be tearing down the engine, too.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

An object's desireability to a dog is directly
On 04/06/11 09:42, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Who wants fast mud?
:)

Keyboard!
--

- dillon I am not invalid

An object's desireability to a dog is directly

Um, why do you have to hose it down "every 6 months or so just to keep it clean"?? If your engine is getting dirty enough to make you feel like you need to do this, you have a very, very serious problem. If it's getting dirty, it's probably because you're blowing oil out of the main seal or the front seal or the head gasket.
My wife insists on putting cardboard on the garage floor. I guess it's because her father did. But that was when a car was "expected" to bleed some oil. If I saw some oil on the floor, more than just a drop, I'd be looking for a problem.
You are probably getting water into things that don't like water. Eventually the leaf blower trick won't work and you might find yourself paying a couple of grand to get a computer replaced. The distributors on modern EFI cars aren't quite as simple as they were on my 65 Galaxie 500. In fact I know that from '08 on, MB's don't even have a distributor.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

An object's desireability to a dog is directly

Because he's anal retentive.
Ever been to a Prius web forum? makes this guy look like Brad Pitt.
On 04/06/2011 05:17 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

lol!
potm
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

And I *own* a Prius. I'm embarassed to be associated with those idiots.
Some morons on Priuschat were amazed and surprised to realize that those red button thingies by the door handle were <gasp!> door lock buttons--and that this gee-whiz technological marvel of a car lets you LOCK THE DOORS BY HAND.
Yes, they do let morons buy, register, and drive cars.
On 04/07/2011 12:17 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

if you have the money, get that sexy new lexus hybrid wagon, the ct 200h. a buddy took me out in his earlier this week - SUPER slick. all the eco freako of the prius, but a real car that handles, goes, and doesn't look like a pregnant turtle.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum