Help!! Problem with headlights and running lights

i was going home from work last night..and i have 1989 HONDA ACCORD LXi .the switch for the lights is on the steering column on the left hand side..and it
was stuck..now it wont pop up my lights, they wont turn on, and the running lights wont come on at all..i had to drive home with my flashers on and holding my highbeams in the on position(i work nights until 2 am, and have no other transportation) my highbeams work..but only if i hold them in the on postion.my turn signals work, and my brakelights work..in my old car 89 ford tempo, a similar thing happend, and my friend replaced a switch in the steering column..could it be the same thing in the honda? i need to get this fixed asap..or i cant get home from work..

Since it felt stuck I think it's a safe bet. Those sorts of switches fail often.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

thanks for the response mike..if i can find a reaplacement at a junkyard, would it be more complicated then taking the old one off and undoing any wires,puting the new one and and connecting the wires? or will it be more difficult than that?and if i cant find one at a junkyard from the same year car, would one from another year work? any advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks~chick~

the new one in. I think in the '89 the steering wheel has to be removed - not a big deal, but see the next paragraph. It appears the switch actually fits over the steering column.
Dealing with the steering wheel is simple assuming you have no air bag, but requires special care if you do. If you have an air bag there is a wound-up (not spring-loaded) cable that must be treated carefully in addition to the other issues, and the power must be disconnected. A manual is very useful in either case and necessary if you have an air bag. Haynes is adequate for this job.
Mike
it doesnt have an air bag..im taking it to a freind of mine to have him look at it tomorrow...he said it could also be the relay..i guess ill know more tomorrow..thanks for your help..~chick~