Help with written-off Civic in Canada

Does anyone know who I could go to get get an estimated retail value for my 1995 Civic DX SE that some jerk decided to turn in front of last week?

2 door coupe, 175,000 km, professionally tinted windows, A/C, Sony face-off deck, newer rubber, excellent condition (one rust spot), timing belt at 125,000 km, new head gasket, automatic tranmission. I haven't seen many in the various papers / trader mags. Lots of 4 doors, but almost no 2 doors with auto and A/C. Thanks! Al in Winnipeg
Reply to
Microfiche

Looks like about $4750.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

I am not sure if that link was supposed to take me to a particular vehicle, but it didn't...however, that looks to me on the low side of the range. I searched all of Canada and there are only about 16 where they have advertised it as a DX, and most of those aren't the same as mine - i.e. no A/C or standard trans. They seem to be much more pricey in Calgary and cheaper in Quebec...

Reply to
Microfiche

I had a 92 Civic si stolen recently. The insurance company gave me $4900 USD for it. Added to State Farms base value for my car was an Alpine stereo ($100) and brand new tires ($275). I had to fax them the reciept to prove I had brand new tires since they were missing when the car was recovered. The car was pretty much stripped, therefore the write-off. I would suggest you tell your insurance company about any recent work you had done and be prepared to provide reciepts for any accessories you may have had attached to the car. The feeling I got State Farm was that they wanted to close my claim ASAP and seemed willing to pay out whatever I asked for. In the end I know I got the better deal since my car was in need of repair mechanically but none of that showed due to it being stripped and undrivable. Good Luck!

James

Reply to
James Rose

"James Rose" wrote in news:O7kDe.22736$Zu1.7213@trnddc04:

Mechanical condition counts for nearly zero when appraising a car. I know, having been through this in great detail just recently.

If you spend $5,000 on a fancy repaint and nice rims, and can show receipts for the work, they'll pay for much of that. If you spend $5,000 on an engine and tranny rebuild, they'll only add a few points to the value for that. It's stupid, but there you are.

The dumbest thing is that a fancy paint job and nice rims usually become junk in a collision, while an engine is usually salvageable and can be sold for money.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"James Rose" wrote in news:O7kDe.22736$Zu1.7213@trnddc04:

For maximum return on value for your insurance, drive an unsafe mechanical wreck that looks fabulous.

Spend nothing on mechanical (except for tires, which is the only mechanical component they look at) and everything on the body.

They LOVE that. Idiots.

Reply to
TeGGeR®