Hi everybody...help please.

Hi, I have a ?97 Honda Accord with about 75,000 miles. It has a problem with its giddy-up. It has to work awfully hard to get to even

35 mph. It seems that after driving it for a while and letting it warm up, its a "little better". Anyone know what the problem would be? And more importantly, how much I can expect to pay to get it fixed?
Reply to
TMW

Start with a leakdown test. Its the BEST way to find out the condition of your motor AND if it does have internal problems they can be found with a little listening.

AFter that you can start changing parts.

-Speedy

TMW wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

When was the last tuneup (new plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor, timing check, fuel filter, air filter, bottle of Chevron Techron in the fuel tank)? Were OEM ignition parts used?

Cooling system topped off?

"TMW" wrote

Reply to
Elle

/start/ leak-down on a vehicle with only 75k? /much/ more likely to be maintenance issue - or timing belt slippage.

don't change a thing until you know /what/ the problem is! go to tegger.com and read the faq's to start, then buy the honda manual from helm.com. full diagnostics are in there, including reading error codes from the ecu.

Reply to
jim beam

Might start by making sure it is firing on all 4 cylinders. My daughters lost half the coilpack and ran smooth on two cylinders. Only problem was it would only do about 40mph. It also killed the converter.

Reply to
Woody

Besides the other good answers, it is possible your catalytic converter is plugged. A test for that (from a Haynes manual, believe it or don't) is done with a manifold pressure guage. Watch the guage at idle and note the reading. Rev the engine to about 2000 rpm for a few seconds, then watch the guage when you release the throttle. It should drop to the idle reading (or close to it) within two seconds. If it hangs at the high reading or only gradually returns to the idle reading suspect an exhaust restriction.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee