Honda, 1998 automatic Transmission???

My car seemed to slip a gear from 4th to 3rd and revved high without catching. I put it into manual mode and tried to change back to 4th, it did but seemed to slip back to 3rd again. It seems like the gears aren?t catching completely cause there?s a little bit of momentum but won?t go over 50km/h. I made it home but it did this continually for more than 3km. It idled fine at a red light, but as soon as I took off it started doing it again in all the gears. what could it be??

Reply to
GreenLude98

there will be an error code stored in the engine computer. get it read and report back.

Reply to
jim beam

you may not have a 4th anymore... my transmission (87 civic) did something similar a couple years ago... it managed to get back to the shop after a couple hours of 30kmh highway driving (so much fun)

upon further inspection... the gears had literally started to break out of the transmission and were falling off of the car... which explains why i couldn't get it into reverse... reverse was probably somewhere along the highway

in hindsight... i probably should have had the transmission fluid checked more often than i did (never) in the couple years i had the car before that

so i would suggest you take a slow drive to your favorite mechanic and check it out before things get really expensive

Reply to
CH®IS

What model and what mileage? Have you ever changed the tranny fluid, and what brand was used? If you wipe the dipstick on a sheet of clean paper, what color is it? How does it smell?

It's possibly a sticking solenoid but you aren't giving us enough info. Anything else we need to know (was the car ever in a flood)?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_