Honda, 1998 automatic Transmission???

My car seemed to slip a gear from 4th to 3rd and revved high without catching. I put it into manual mode and tried to change back to 4th, it did but seemed to slip back to 3rd again. It seems like the gears
arent catching completely cause theres a little bit of momentum but wont go over 50km/h. I made it home but it did this continually for more than 3km. It idled fine at a red light, but as soon as I took off it started doing it again in all the gears. what could it be??
Thread archive:
GreenLude98 wrote:

there will be an error code stored in the engine computer. get it read and report back.
"GreenLude98" wrote...

you may not have a 4th anymore... my transmission (87 civic) did something similar a couple years ago... it managed to get back to the shop after a couple hours of 30kmh highway driving (so much fun)
upon further inspection... the gears had literally started to break out of the transmission and were falling off of the car... which explains why i couldn't get it into reverse... reverse was probably somewhere along the highway
in hindsight... i probably should have had the transmission fluid checked more often than i did (never) in the couple years i had the car before that
so i would suggest you take a slow drive to your favorite mechanic and check it out before things get really expensive
<snip>
Don't overlook the obvious. Start by checking the fluid level in the transmission. If the fluid level is good, see if the fluid has a burnt smell. May be indication of something worse. Changing the fluid prolly won't restore it now though. Initially it sounded as though you just lost fourth gear, possibly clutch came apart and got debris in filter/fluid ports. This may have eventually cut off the flow to other areas. Best bet is to roll it in or tow it to a reputable shop and let them pressure test it. Yer prolly not gonna be able to do anything yourself to restore it. IMHO, that is. Doc
GreenLude98 wrote:

========================= What model and what mileage? Have you ever changed the tranny fluid, and what brand was used? If you wipe the dipstick on a sheet of clean paper, what color is it? How does it smell?
It's possibly a sticking solenoid but you aren't giving us enough info. Anything else we need to know (was the car ever in a flood)?
'Curly'