Honda Accord 03 LX 50,000 Miles won't shift out of park - Automatic

Hi, It all started a couple of days ago. It would take me two or three attempts to put the car from park (P) into drive (D). The shift lock is stocked as
if I wasn't pressing on the break pedal, but of course I was. If I pressed the breaks really hard it worked until a few hours ago. In addition the break lights are not working, they don't light up when the breaks are pressed. I checked the Horn/Stop fuse, and it was fine.
I've been reading about the possibility of an interlock switch that signals the transmission when the breaks are engaged. This switch may be located below the steering wheel, but that is all I've been able to get from the web.
Today is Sunday, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take it to the dealer, or to the local mechanic. I'll have to use the key to release the shift lock.
The car is fine otherwise, and the breaks and transmission feel fine as well.
FYI: I also checked the break fluid level, and it was between MIN and MAX, so I assume that is not the problem. In addition I have never replaced the break pads.
Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.
Will.
I had this same problem. What I did was force it into drive, it took a lot of effort but after that things went back to normal. Also you might check to see if a coin fell down into the gear box.
Andy Dufresne
Andy Dufresne wrote:

Chad wrote:

Chad:
Yes, you are correct. I found the switch, and tighten the connector a bit. basically the break lights turned on and I was able to shift to drive. Of course this was a very short-lived victory, because I believe this time the switch it is gone for good. I'll get the part from the dealer tomorrow, and install it myself. Thanks Chad.
your car is under warranty from Honda. take it in!

Sandlot wrote:

Not it the US it isn't. Honda USA's warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles ... pretty stingy considering the number of things which go wrong after 36,000 miles due to engineering and/or manufacturing shortcomings.
John