Honda Accord 1999 Engine stalls while slowing down

Hi, I have had my 1999 Accord coupe EX stall twice within one week. It stalls while I am slowing down to a stop. After the first time, I read on the internet about a recall for the Ignition switch for 99 Accords. Unfortunately when I called Honda Canada, it was determined that my VIN did not fall into the recall. I have a 2 year old so I didn't want to sit and do nothing. So I had the Honda dealer that I goto regularly replace it at my cost. But after exactly one week, it happend again while I was slowing down to a red light. Both times, some lights on my dash board came on...the doors being opened, the engine, the oil lamp, etc. I kept trying to restart but nothing...it turns but the car wouldn't start. After about 8-10 min, I was able to start the car. I've done some more reading and found one google honda group posting about

1999 Accords stalling. In that posting the people seem to have come to the conclusion that it was the main relay switch. Anybody have any hints at all as to the cause?
Reply to
Vince.Lum

I would suspect the ignition coil first, especially if the car runs fine as it's reaching normal engine operating temperature. Then, when the engine is fully warmed up, the stalling problems begin. Letting the car sit for awhile, like you describe, so the ignition coil cools down, remedies the problem, but only for the short-term.

Ignition coils do age and are a common cause of stalling, ultimately failing completely at some point.

some insight on this, though it's geared towards somewhat older Hondas than yours, IMO. I don't think I've seen a car as new as yours ("new" being relative) have main relay problems. Also, main relay problems tend to occur not while driving, but after driving a bit, then stopping at a store, for ten seconds, then trying to start the car. It won't start.

wrote

Reply to
Elle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

When this sort of thing happens on Toyota Camrys, the cause is often the coolant temperature switch, which fools the IAC. No error code is set when this happens.

You may want to explore that.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

---------------------------

What's the mileage, is it HOT when it happens, when did you last use injector cleaner, and is the coolant reservoir full enough?

The coil sounds like a good suspect . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Thanks for the input. I'll mention it to my dealer when I bring it in on Monday. My friend who is a bit of a car buff thinks that it might be a vaccum issue, i.e. the Pressure Control Valve being clogged or something to that effect (I'm no car buff as you can tell). He says that when it clogs, the computer will shut down as safety precaution. The PCV is only a few bucks, so he suggest to change it and see what happens.

Reply to
Vince.Lum

It's got 108,000 KM. I had an oil change in Jan...due for another one soon. I have no idea what the injector cleaner is...isn't that something my Honda dealer would do when I take it in for servicing? I'll check the coolan reservoir after work. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Vince.Lum

I just googled injector cleaner and I feel like a dumb ass. I've never used fuel injector cleaner but it wouldn't hurt. I'll pick some up at the auto store when I pickup a PCV. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Vince.Lum

When I had the last tune-up--the mechanic at the Honda dealership did use injector cleaner. However, most people only have a major tune-up about every two years. It's possible for the injectors get clogged up between tune-ups. That's the reason that I add a can of injector cleaner to a full tank of gasoline about once every 4 months or whenever the engine develops problems that might or might not be related to having clogged injectors. If that does not solve the problem, I look at other causes for the problem. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Thanks Jason. My friend told me to try the Injector Cleaner as well. I'll pick some up tonight.

Reply to
Vince.Lum

ARGGHHH!! My engine has stalled 3 times since the first 2. I changed the PCV and put in some Injector Cleaner but still stalling. My dealer has the car now but they say that until the problem pops up for them there's not alot they can do right now bc. their main diagnostic guy is away until next monday. So they've got the car for now but if they can't duplicate the problem by driving it around, then I'll pick it up tonight and bring it back next mon.

Reply to
Vince.Lum

Just quick thought: Is your 1999 part of the ignition switch recall which was instituted for a stalling problem?

Reply to
Digiti

That's a good point. It's possible that "fuel throttle bore" needs to be cleaned. Also, there is a "service bulletin" related to the 1999 Accord related to the "Hesitation During Acceleration"--service bulletin #99-064" The Honda Service Manager at the local Honda dealership should be able tell you more about it. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Vince, were you ever able to find out what was wrong with your car? My husband has a 1999 Honda Accord that is doing the exact same thing. He has replaced the spark plugs, had the ignition switch replaced, changed the coil, replaced the spark plug wires, and replaced a resister. He had a mechanic look at it that just works on Hondas and he said it didn't quit on him and until it does, he can't tell what's wrong.

It is still doing the same thing. It starts fine, but after you drive it for a short time, it just quits! It is quitting more often and it's taking longer to get it started again too. This is so maddening! He is about ready to trade the thing in.

Someone told me today to replace the Main Master Relay Switch. Does anyone know if that will help? Also where is it? We're getting tired of putting money into it for nothing.

Reply to
Nancy Ann

Hello, Yes--it could be the Main Relay. In a 1999 Accord--it's located under the knee bolster on the driver's side. If you want to see a picture of it, visit this site:

I should note that the car in the picture is a 1991 Integra but the main relay is located in that same location in a 1999 Accord.

Reply to
Jason

Hi Nancy, I took a shot in the dark and had my dealer replace the Main fuel relay switch and it's been stall free for 2 weeks now!!!! My dealer here in Canada charged $50 Canadian for the part and another $50 Can to install. So far so good for now...got my fingers crossed.

Reply to
Vince.Lum

Hi Digiti, no my VIN didn't fall under the recall but had my dealer change that but the problem still existed. But now I've had the main fuel relay switch changed and I've not stalled in over 2 weeks!!!

Reply to
Vince.Lum