Honda accord 93: can't set ignition timing right

I started to hear detonation sound on warm engine. I checked ignition timing and it was about 15 degrees advance. Tried to set it right, but I moved distributor all the way to its limit and only could move ignition half way to where it should be. It is about 7-8 degrees advance now. Detonation got much milder after that, but didn't go away completely. The distributor was replaced 3 years ago and I don't think it is bad again. What else could cause ignition timing shift? sergei

Reply to
sstelmak

sstelmak wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

Take a good look at your crank pulley. If it's like all the Civics and Integras I've seen, you should see two sets of notches in it:

1) There is a single notch all by itself. That's Top Dead Center. 2) Then there are three marks grouped together, somewhere to the left of the single one. Those are your timing marks. You jump the gray connector behind the passenger kick panel ( a paper clip is fine), then set the timing so it's in the middle of the group of three.

Sounds like you're trying to set it to Top Dead Center.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

when you're checking timing, you have to disable the cpu advance. the shop manual tells you how.

after that, set the advance, also per the shop manual. if it's still detonating after that, check the cam timing - the belt may have jumped a tooth. also check the plugs are ok. sometimes melted plug electrodes have strange effects on ignition.

Reply to
jim beam