Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption.

I bought one of these recently, a Honda Accord Diesel. People who've bought them have complained that they don't achieve Honda's quoted consumption. My experience initially in mine was similar. I was getting about 42 mpg in mixed driving (British gallons here). I've had the car about 2 months.

Then I started experimenting. The car is so powerful with such acceleration that one is inclined to sink the welly when driving. I've found that if you use the highest gear you can, and accelerate gently except only when required, that you get much better consumption. You say "what's new". It's the degree is what amazes me.

Last night I drove about 33 miles to a small town outside Cork City where I live. Country driving. Driving more or less normally, but no hard driving. 55mpg. On the way back I used 6th gear a lot and really went for it. My eyes popped. 4.2L/100km = 66 mpg. I've never driven a car that could do that. My previous car, the excellent Peugeot 406 HDI diesel maxed at

60mpg.
Reply to
george

Don't want to burst your bubble, (and what I'm suggesting may not be possible) but you may be 'tricking' the computer as much as anything. The real proof would be to divide the actual amount of fuel used by the actual mileage. That's the only real _MPG_ that counts.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_