Honda Accord Hybrid

I tried the Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid the other night.
Very strong acceleration, well beyond needs.
What was cool:
-stop at a light, engine shut off; let go of brake, engine starts
smoothly and immediately.
-cruise at 120 km/h, three cylinders shut off (little light on dash "ECO" turns on).
-let off gas during cruise and you could feel the electic motor "drag" as it generated electricity for the battery.
-apply brakes, and even more energy was diverted to the motor/generator.
(There's a little meter bar that shows when the battery is discharging or recharging)
What was not cool:
- automatic transmission - ... and not so well programmed at that - 3 litre engine - no fold down rear seats (the battery is there) - 253 total HP.... what's economical about that? - does not qualify for the Quebec hybrid rebate (misses the mileage goal) -stopped the car in "D", engine stops. Shifted to "P" and the engine started up again. Should have remained off, IMO. I guess it's the way this is mechanized that allowed the engine to restart. - price ($39,400 in Canada, $31,000 in the US). The CAD $ is running 89 - 90 cents these days... I could probably talk them down a couple K on the car; and up a couple K on the trade in, but it's still not worth it to me.
I take it that they put in a 6 banger in order to get 3 cylinder cruise on the highway, and that this might not have worked well with a 4 banger. Why not a 5 banger? Why not a smaller displacement 6 banger? I simply can't believe that a Honda Accord really needs 200 HP, never minf 253 with the assist.
Any Canadians here who can explain the price differential (US / CAD) that is way beyond the exchange rate?
Cheers, Alan FreeLunch.

<snipped for space>

I can't explain the vast difference in the prices. But I can tell you that I like the 200 hp under the hood of my '01 Accord.
IMO the Accord Hybrid is a dumb marketing/engineering move. The standard V-6 Accord already has more power than any reasonable North American driver needs. Why add a hybrid boost on top of that?
An ~2.0l four cylinder hybrid Accord would make much more sense for fuel economy.
John
John Horner wrote:

I agree completely and I've posted on the subject (and the "cons" reflect that.
I don't see hybrid "boost" as a performance item but as reuse of deceleration. Period.
Part of the problem, I suspect, is how well would the 2 litre engine behave with two cylinders shut down?
Cheers, Alan

Their concept car, the Dualnote, is a different story: http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/auto/DUALNOTE/powerunit/index.html According to the September 2002 article in Popular Mechanics, Honda engineers say the electrics effectively double the off-the-line acceleration to roughly what is expected from a 600 HP conventional power train.
As the electric technology improves we will see performance increasingly being a reason for hybridization. But the Accord "hybrid?" Hardly worth the effort, IMHO.
Mike
Alan Browne wrote:

With a small 4 cylinder motor you don't need cylinder deactivation. Cylinder deactivation only seems to provide a minimal fuel economy boost and is mostly be used on V-8s and V-12s (MBZ).
John
I posted this elsewhere and it is appopriate here. I like the Accord Hybrid Navi and had a Civic Hybrid before. If you were raised in the muscle car era, the Accord Hybrid ROCKS!