honda accord questions

hello all, I currently own a 2001 maxima SE 5 speed and am looking to get rid of it in favor of better gas mileage (get 23 average and the most I've gotten is about 25 or so on a highway trip) and not having to use premium. one of the 3 cars I'm looking at is the accord (still want a 5 speed so not the accord hybrid cause it only comes in an auto) looking at either a 2005 or 2006 accord EX with leather and a navigation system with the 4 cyl. engine. just wondering if there are any main differences between the 05 and

06 models. if anyone has these cars and any known problems with them. I'm looking to buy new or lease. wondering what people have been paying for these. any other info you coudl give would be greatly appreciated. the cars I'm comparing it to are the mazda 3 and the Jetta TDI (yes I know they are not all the same "class" but they all seem to have what I want around the same price range) the jetta TDI was my first choice (2005.5 or 2006) but they are in low supply and theres a high demand that dealers arn't really doing anything with the prices, basically ya pay sticker or ya don't get one (sticker for what I want is 24,000 for package 1 or about 26,000 for package 2) looking at teh mazda 3 I can get all teh stuff I want (leather, 5 speed, moonroof and navigation system for a lot less than the jetta) sorry to make this so long just figure I'd gie some background info. also in my search I saw 2 honda groups so I posted this in both of them cause I'm not sure which one this type of question would belong in (alt.auto.honda or rec.autos.makers.honda) thanks a lot for your responses in advance.

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

hondaman

i take that back. they have been redigned along with the civics which are going to be really nice if you're interested in 1 of those but the accord for '06 is different from '05.

Reply to
hondaman

The '06 Accord has some minor front and rear updates to it's styling. The biggest diferrence is in the trunk on the sedan. It's a little more square. But the most important change in the 4 cylinder is the engine is now "drive by wire", instead of a cable to the throttle body. Also you can now get a V-6 sedan with a six speed manual. Howard

Reply to
Howard

Also looked at the Mazda 3 w/2.3 engine and went with the Accord LX. The Honda reliability, fit and finish, excellent 5-speed. It feels much better than the Mazda's 5-speed. For what you want, you'll have to keep adding factory options to the Mazda where the Honda comes standard on the EX. Better gas mileage is a plus. Recently bought the '05 Accord LX 5-speed. EX is nicer but I'm keeping to a tight budget.

Haven't seen or read anything on the '06 Accord EX yet but expect more good things!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

What is the difference performance/ durability wise with the new drive by wire design over the old cable system?

Is this a big deal?

Since it's new this year, you think any recall issues may crop up until the bugs are worked out?

Reply to
Greg™

I can't speak to durability but can say that it is the one thing I really miss on my wife's 2005 Accord EX, drive by wire. This in comparison to my

2004 Acura TL which has drive by wire throttle. The difference is comfort of driving for me. Normally accelerator is attached to rod on top which makes your driving foot angle in such a way that at least for me it caused some discomfort and fatique pressure on the leg and back. The drive by wire accelerator is flush to the floor meaning your drive foot rests upon it instead of your heel being on floor and toe being angled onto the pedal. It may sound odd but I noticed a definate difference in the first week I owned the drive by wire TL.

As far as actual functionality I haven't a clue but since this system has been on the Acura for a while I wouldn't think that there would be any new year ramifications.

George in NY

Reply to
George in NY