Honda Accord Service Puzzle

Page 2 of 2
On 08/01/2012 06:21 AM, Tegger wrote:

while technically true that fraud is not honda usa's problem, they do indeed take a very dim view if dealers aren't buying their parts - that's the whole point of the franchise.
my friend's civic was serviced by a honda dealer here in the sf bay area, and was charged full honda retail price for honda parts with honda part numbers on the receipts. what he actually got was aftermarket parts with the aftermarket manufacturer name on them, not the honda name. so, just like going to the supermarket and buying [and paying for] 45% proof vodka and finding it's been diluted to 15%, that is fraud, plain and simple.
--
fact check required

A local Toyota dealer does that backwards: he stocks the Toyota parts but puts his own numbers on them, so you can't cross-shop on the internet (at least not easily, not using his invoices).
On 8/2/2012 7:05 AM, jim beam wrote:

I wonder what would have happened if your friend reported it to Honda USA.

May I ask a favor of you?
--
Tegger

Your dealer advised you that it was time for your hundred thousand mile tuneup, which is also cited as 105,000 to keep it an even multiple of the traditional (mile based) 7500 mile service interval. Keep in mind that spark plugs, wires, filters, pcv's, etc are not perfect up to 99,999 miles and then suddenly shot at 100,001. He gave you the price he would charge to perform those services, take it or leave it. It seems you would have preferred he just kept quiet and let you figure it out for yourself, or breakdown on the road and get your advice from the kid driving the AAA truck. Also you question why he listed things you could do yourself. What would you think of him if he performed work on someones car then advised them to go home and change a few of the easy parts themselves. Hey Mrs Murphy, I know you are 78 years old but we did everything except the fuel filter because you can do that yourself and save 20 bucks, just make sure you put out the cigarette first.
Your reaction could have been "thanks for the information and free quote", but instead you (and it seems others who have posted) have decided he is untrustworthy and dishonest. It's particularly odd because most in this group are in favor of doing proper maintenance and generally following the recommended schedules. I don't get it.
"Al" wrote in message

[...]
I think I have the judgement to decide when mandatory services are required based on my type driving (mostly highway) and my experience with a wide variety of cars since the mid 50s. I recognize the need to change brake fluid for example and told them to do it at the $370 90k mile service which they said was not needed. The 90k service includes a change of transmission fluid which they apparently did not do -- or so they say. I did thank them for the information.