Honda Branded Anti Freeze: Necessary ?

Hi,
How necessary in your expert opinions is it to use Honda branded anti-freeze ?
The 50-50 % Prestone stuff they sell says that it is O.K. for "all and
any" cars.
True ?
Thanks.
Bob wrote:

I'm not sure that there are any true experts here...... ;-)
Even "professional" mechanics will have different answers to this question, ranging from "it's all the same stuff", to "use anything but the Honda brand at your peril".
When I am purchasing a used car, I check to see how often the coolant was changed. The brand of fluid does not concern me, and I have been using Prestone and similar brands without issue in all of my motor vehicles for almost 25 years.
Pat
On 05/22/2010 04:46 AM, pws wrote:

if you need proof that coolant quality matters, read this: http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/court.php3
further reading: http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides/engine_tech/engine_coolant.htm
all this said, a quality non-silicate coolant, with a good corrosion inhibitor package, with de-ionized water, should be safe enough. if you don't /know/ it's non-silicate, and you don't /know/ it has a good corrosion inhibitor package, sticking with the manufacturer brand is the guaranteed safe way to go.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

That makes sense to me. Thanks for the links and information.
I have always used a major brand over the econo stuff anyway, which is probably a very good thing.
Pat
On 05/22/10 07:31, Bob wrote:

OEM for me.
On 5/23/2010 5:58 AM, Tony Harding wrote:

    The smart decision.
One problem that may occur: In the highly unlikely problem of a water pump failure or other cooling system failure your warranty claim for repair may be declined due to use of non-recommended fluids. I think that may be a smaller problem considering the damage that may occur if it is not warranted. Consider that. Howard

In my anecdotal experience of owning 5 Hondas, your best bet is Honda fluids. Motor oil might be the exception.